The big UK Rapala SuperShadRap lure Rip-off!

The big UK Rapala SuperShadRap lure Rip-off!

I've been replenishing and replacing some lures ready for an overseas trip & for next season in the UK.

I'm after 5 or 6 Rapala Super Shad Raps

__________________ Posted Image ....

Using the current US$/UK£ Exchange-rate of, and I quote, 1.83755

UK mail-order PRICE (two suppliers) £ 12.99 = US$ 23.87

US mail-order price US$7.59 = UK£ 4.22

Someone's taking the mickey :mad:

especially as they're made in Ireland and/or Scandinavia ... and, yup, I know there are many more lure-anglers in the USA than in the UK ...but still ...

D :mad: G

[ 07. June 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hardly news is it, virtually anything you claim to mention is cheaper in america, even products made in the UK

Overheard two reps in an angling store laughing and joking about how stupid UK anglers were to buy their products. And the range of lures they were refering to was? You guessed it, Rapalla! Rapalla in Holland is not less than 1/3 cheaper than in the UK.

Unfortunately a major mail-order lure supplier offers 'free' postage. But the price is loaded to cover p&p. Free postage, never! Do people really think that the post office delivers for 'free', or that the staff wrapping 'em work for nothing? The result is that the UK angling public have shown a willingness to pay these super hiked up prices, so we only have ourselves to blame. Yes, Mr & Mrs Harris, someone has to pay for the postage!

[ 07. June 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Last time I was in the US and actually had time to go to Cabellas you could buy a Mitchell 300 cheaper at retail than you could at trade in the UK! And as Im sure most of you know Mitchell were then (still are?) made in France.

But Im fed up with telling people this and been told about tax and postage and inferior quality and credit card fraud etc etc so if people are still stupid enough not shop around then stuff em!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

... if people are still stupid enough not shop around then stuff em!

Budgie,

Where would/do you get your lures then? .. for example, if you wanted some SuperShadRaps (preferably salt-water versions ) within the next 7 days or so?

DG

[ 07. June 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Fraid you would struggle to get them from the US in that time DG (without paying for airmail and therefore defeating the point of getting them from there!)

I buy lures in three ways really- Large pre season orders from various US suppliers either in person or by mail order,Reduced/half price sources such as Ebay,tackle stands at shows and even off Harris's half price page.The last is on purely impulse buys when I drop my trousers and bend over like the rest of us!But as I get the vast bulk of my lures at a sensible price by pre planning I dont mind the occaisional shafting.

Was your question hyperthetical DG or are you wanting them for your trip away?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The quickest way.

Figure out in advance what you want to buy

Telephone BassProShops (International orders)

011-417-863-2499

Ask them to get it out ASP. They are very helpful in that respect. Normal delivery 3-5 days.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

hi diamond, ive just been having a nose through one of my spanish mail order catalogues, and they have 9 pages of rapala lures.they do appear to be cheaper than the u.k prices. probally too late for your trip, but worth a nose when you get back. the company is called..alverez armeria, tel. 902 10 55 00. fax 902 20 55 00. http://www.armeria-alverez.com e.mail pesca@a-alverez.com they are in madrid.dont know if they have many english speakers,most companies here do, if you get them to send you a catalogue, there are order forms in the back to just fill in the ref. numbers, easy peasy, have a great trip. best wishes. :cool: