lure conditions?

Guest jonn

Guest jackmaster

Oops sorry chaps, no offence meant. When I said about not burdening anyone with rules I meant that rather than try to lay down a whole load of situtions that may or may not apply on any given day, I thought that one handy tip that has worked on nearly every water I've ever fished might help. As an avid reader of american fishing magazines I realise that you guys apply a scientific approach to your lure fishing that leaves us looking like chuck-it -and-chance-it noddies. Still we are willing and able to learn and are trying to claw our way out of the dark ages.

Guest Newt

Jackmaster - just as we are in many ways noddies in the US when it comes to many of the UK "bait & wait" tactics. I still have never even seen many of your bits, much less mastered using them. smile.gif

Guest MTP IN VA

Sincerest appologies mate, I completely misread that one. eek.gif That'll teach me to do my posting at more reasonable hours, when the poor ol' brain functions better! biggrin.gif

Guest Steve Burke

In my experience high pressure is best for lure fishing for pike. This will normally mean sunshine, although you can have cloudy anticyclones, especially in winter.

In summer, I'd tend to fish early and late to avoid the sun - or should I say the heat? In winter, I find sunshine to be a great turn on for the pike on the waters I fish. In fact, some of my best pike catches have come with a bitter north east wind - as long as it's sunny.

Perch on the other hand don't seem to like sunshine whatever the season, except on very deep waters. So I find low pressure best for perch.

Of cousre it might be the weather that accompanies high or low pressure that's most important. However, I'm inclined to believe that the pressure itself, and whether it's rising or falling, is important in it's own right. What do others think on this point?

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest jonn

this is turning into a really interesting lure descussion, perhaps if i changed the title then more of the UK anglers would take a look. thanks for letting us lure 'noddies' have an insight into your domain.

newt,

you have answered loads of my questions on spinnerbaits, as i am still yet to try them.

what are your views on soft plastic worms, as i dug some out of my mates tackle box, and had follows from some decent trout, although no hook-ups. i put the lack of positive takes down to my 15lb bs pike line being used against 2-6lb brownies.

these specific lures came in a pack of two with a red metal flat head, 'bout an inch long.(the actual worm was flourescent green) they seemed totally weedless, and got loads of follows. they seem more versatile than bigger 'jellies' as they will probably attract perch and jack pike as well.

are there specific colours, flavours?, etc.

do species of fish like different colours, or like hard plastic lures, is it mix and match on the day.

are black ones available for night fishing?

have you ever hooked supposedly 'non-predatory' fish on small jellies, such as carp?

Guest poledark

I am gonna join in this one, I spent most of my youth spinning thro the winter for pike and the spring for trout and seatrout. I know I am horribly out of date with the types of spinners available but no one has mentioned what used to be the basic rule, specially in still water, but also VERY effective in rivers.

Make a series of casts about 4ft apart, fanning round from left to right or vice versa, and then make at least one more back where you started.

Very often a fish which had become interested would hit you on that last cast.

Could I also say that most spinfishers that I see are working the spinner much to fast, pike are not rocket propelled. Cast out, count it down till it hits bottom and slow retrieve, as slow as you can but keep the spinner working.

I had great success using home made spoons and spinners which were quite "light" and could be made to work really slow, and in running water could.often be held almost stationary in the current.You can work a lure thro slacks that are not visible from the surface and very often the pike were laying up in these little slack pockets.

I am not knocking the idea of the fast retrieve but in my experience of WINTER fishing for pike they like it slow.

poledark.

Guest Newt

Poledark - I agree with you for winter conditions. Smaller lures worked slower are the business 98% of the time. Same holds true for warmer conditions when the fish are inactive for some reason and must be teased into striking. For warmer water in general, I still like to start with larger lures worked faster - even fast enough to create a fuss. I doubt that you could possibly retrieve too fast for a fish that really wanted a bite of your lure. The fan-casting is excellent too - especially if you are limited to a peg or if there is no obvious structure or cover to concentrate on. Another great idea - if you can do it - is to have a 2nd rod rigged with a totally different (size, shape, color, type, etc.) lure and to immediately cast it to an area where you've gotten a miss from a fish.

John - Excellent questions and I can even take a crack at answering most of them. First, take a look at these threads and then post back. They may answer a few questions for you and will likely raise others.

[*] http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/Forum1/HTM...TML/002750.html

[*] http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/Forum1/HTM...TML/002414.html

[*] http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/Forum1/HTM...TML/002840.html

[*] http://yamamoto.baits.com/cgi-bin/order/sc...oft?ypC2GgWF;;1

Guest jonn

our perch are known to dislike saltwater deadbaits, in your experience would it put them off a lure?

are there specific brand names to trust, such as rapala's in hard plastics. I have seen berkely power worms(in firetail) used for our saltwater wrasse, are these effective in freshwater?

most interested probably in using small worms/jellies for non-predatory fish, such as carp etc.

could you give three basic 'must have colours/designs. this would be really useful,

thanx in advance, jonn

Guest Danny H
Originally posted by jonn:

most interested probably in using small worms/jellies for non-predatory fish, such as carp etc.

could you give three basic 'must have colours/designs. this would be really useful,

thanx in advance, jonn

I believe the JACKMASTER has had Carp on a bulldawg believe it or not.