Rivers open on 16th

Guest dexter

Guest dexter

It's getting close to the 16th and I'm getting more pessimistic by the day.

Does any one know of any Rivers definately open on the 16th.

Two conditions, I should be able to travel from the North West (willing to go 90 miles)and they have to be day Ticket.

Here's hoping.

D

Guest philb12

Dear Dexter

The way its going with FMD, especially in the North West, it is looking more likely to be August onwards at the earliest before we get back on the rivers, Contrary to what the politicians are saying,FMD never went away. It was just unfortunate that a bank holiday and an election were due to happen, otherwise they would have kept everywhere shut down and we may have been nearing the end of the epedemic by now.

Guest dexter

Phil

I must agree. I've got a Warrington card and can't think of one piece of moving water that will be open on the 16th.

I even went for a recce of stretches on the Dove and Trent yesterday and couldn't get anywhere near them.

There was a posting yesterday about all BAA waters being open, so I went to there site and it says all waters will be open on the 16th and gives advice like, don't go into fields with livestock in them etc. I don't know the location of all there waters but sounds a bit irresponsible to encourage anglers to go anywhere near farms until the all clear is given.

D

Guest Squimp

I visited Reading Angling Centre yesterday (saturday 2nd)and was told that they had received a letter from Reading And District that morning advising that all their river Kennet fisheries except Ufton, would be OPEN on June 16th.

Good if slightly surprising news, I reckon.

It is a superb tackle shop by the way.

Hope this helps.

Guest chris

Hi Dexter.Im from the south and as yet dont know my clubs position regarding the river,but as most of the sections hold livestock,I would think it highly unlikely that they will be open.

I belive that the BAA are opening!!,but again

would imagine that anywhere holding livestock is going to be a certain no no.

Its certainly not looking too promising.

Chris

Guest Chris Plumb
Originally posted by Squimp:

I visited Reading Angling Centre yesterday (saturday 2nd)and was told that they had received a letter from Reading And District that morning advising that all their river Kennet fisheries except Ufton, would be OPEN on June 16th.

I was in there on Sat - our paths may have crossed!!!

Chris

Guest Adrian

Hi.

Speaking to tackle shop owners in the Christchurch/ Ringwood areas, there is a quiet optimism, that the rivers will open for the 16th. Obviously, a spread of foot and mouth would put that in doubt.

A lot of places are re opening thier gates to the Public, hopefully, fisheries will do so too.

Adrian

Guest David C

These are the latest guidelines set out by MAFF regarding access to the countryside.

http://www.maff.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/fm...s/guidancel.asp

After reading all this waffle, I think it is basically saying that unless an area is within 3km of an official infected site, then access is allowed. Obviously if precautions are required, such as dogs on leads and disinfecting footwear , then these must be adhered to.

Guest Vigiles

Been told today that some sections of the river severn are going to be open on the 16th

------------------

Vigiles

The Watcher

Originally posted by dexter:

It's getting close to the 16th and I'm getting more pessimistic by the day.

Does any one know of any Rivers definately open on the 16th.

Two conditions, I should be able to travel from the North West (willing to go 90 miles)and they have to be day Ticket.

Here's hoping.

D

Not sure how far north you are but the Warwickshire Avon through Stratford on Avon has day tickets & as it is not near the country side could well be open.

I will see if I can get a number for the tackle shop (the one that thinks only men go fishing mad.gifrolleyes.gif )

lyn