Telescopics

Guest doc_tench

Guest doc_tench

hi

Now i know you have probably discussed this before,but can anyone tell me of a good tele i can buy,i love to fish light on the float for tinca and have thought about one for years but they always looked cheap and not very durable i did look at mainlines 11ft avon for tench,any ideas

cheers smile.gif

Guest Bent Rod ?

Doc

I've just ordered a John Wilson avon tele £75+£5 postage don't Know what it's like but the tele carp rod is great.It should be here on Tuesday so i'll know better then.

Jon

------------------

Ivor Benten

Bent Rod = Tight Lines

[This message has been edited by Bent Rod ? (edited 03 June 2001).]

Guest doc_tench

I was going to order a couple myself,when they arrive let me know and tell me what you think?

I spoke to a guy who was piking in the winter with the carp version and he could not fault them and i must say they looked like quality!

cheers and let me know smile.gif

Guest Bent Rod ?

Doc

I've received the Wilson Nomad Avon telescopic. The build quality seems the same as the carp rod. The handle is 58.5cms long all cork with a fixed reel seat of the type where the upper part of the handle screws down on to the reel. Overall length fully extended is 10ft 9ins not 11ft but the carp rod was also short (9ins). It has five eyes plus the tip, one minus point here is that the butt ring is 90cms from the reel and has an internal diameter is 9mm. But it is a telescopic so you have to expect some compromise. I've not had chance to use it yet so can't give you a performance rating. It comes in a smart canvas type zip up case like a pool cue but no end protector/keeper (minus point). Please feel free to ask any other questions (Anybody).

Jon

------------------

Ivor Benten

Bent Rod = Tight Lines

Guest doc_tench

hi mate

Where did you get it from (mail me if you like) the cheapest i have found is on the Warehouse but not as cheap as yours,i am am thinking of getting the carp one aswell it sounds quite good for a tele let me no how you got on?

Has any one else used one i would be interested in what you have to say smile.gif

good luck

Guest Bent Rod ?

Doc

I bought my tele Avon from; John's Tackle Den

16 Bridewell Alley

Norwich

Norfolk

NR2 1AQ

Tel:01603 614114

I was told by the shop that the model has just been changed from the Avon/Quivertip at £99.99 to the Avon at £74.99. The Avon is supplied without a quivertip but has a screwthread tip ring if you wish to use a screw-in quivertip. As you want a float rod this probably won't matter. The carp rod I have been very please with and have taken river carp to 11lb 3oz that desperately wanted to stick it's head in a nearby reedbed but the rod gave me great control. I Bought the carp rod from Harris Angling for £90.00 but I'm sure you could get one from John's Tackle Den as I think this used to be John Wilson's old shop.

All the best smile.gif

Jon

------------------

Ivor Benten

Bent Rod = Tight Lines

[This message has been edited by Bent Rod ? (edited 09 June 2001).]

Guest Keith

FAO Doc:

is the idea of a tele rod for convenience when travelling - or for leaving in the boot of the car?

If so, another very realistic option - especially for the kind of fishing you want to do - is to convert a "normal" rod, say a float rod, from a 3 piece into a 6 piece. (Or an avon from a 2 piece to a 3 piece).

I've done two 12' float rods this way: they fit nicely into a 30" rod tube, and I can take 'em anywhere.

Even if your rod building skills aren't up to it, many tackle shops can arrange for this to be done (my local shop has quoted me £40 for a conversion on a "spare" float rod I own) - and it would save you from having to source the extra spigots that you need to make the "extra" joints.

I used one of my home made 6 pieces during a few days at a hotel just outside York recently.

Its private lake was stuffed with nice rudd and 5-6 lb carp that fought like stink, and the rod worked brilliantly - especially as I got most of my fish from under the rod tip - a real test of your gear!

So it IS a perfectly valid option and worth considering.

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

http://www.wacac.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 10 June 2001).]

Guest doc_tench

Hi Keith

Its mainly for speed and convenience, my favourite water i fish is quite a walk and i tend to fish in short sessions due to my work commitments,and also my car gets in a right mess in the winter especially in the last one with all the rain and mud we had, i get a right "earhole bashing" frown.gif from the mrs

I spotted another angler who just turned up with his tele rods and tele landing net and was already tackled up even to the point where the float was already set at the right depth where he had left off last time,and was into a fish befre i had set up and i had got to the swim next to him 25 minutes before.

When i talked to him he said that when he gets to his car everything fits neatly into a big plastic box in his boot, no back seats and no mud!!

I know some peaple will say i am missing the point here, but when i do go for longer sessions its usually for 24 or 36 hours i will take everything.

Your suggestion sounds good but are you talking about just splitting the rod into more sections or are you talking about actually making it into a telescopic, if the latter is possible i would be interested

I thankyou for your interest and good luck with your fishing smile.gif

Guest Keith

Hi Doc,

I was talking about making the rods into jointed "normal" - rather than telescopic - rods.

And of course, this approach won't make things any quicker when it comes to tackling up and whatnot.

Looks like a tele's the thing for you after all! smile.gif

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk