Stillwater blue

Guest doc_tench

Guest doc_tench

Does anyone still use the stillwater blue?

I was fishing the other day and the bites were really tentitive,the float never quite went and i was never sure when to strike(and that was with a 3bb low in the water!!)

So popped out the blue that i had found 3 years ago and after getting the shot pattern right(a bit of a nightmare)i did not miss a bite, there was no margin of error no "Shall i or not" the decision was made for me and i caught more at this venue than ever before.

do any of you still use them i have not seen many around?

good luck smile.gif

Guest Andy Thatcher

I have a couple knocking around in my float tube. I like these a lot for still conditions they are superb.

As for spares try Leslies. Think I saw some there Friday.

Guest fishboy

i love these floats. there great for roach and crucians, but no good for carp. thats probably why they're not as popular these days.

Guest matt_shaw

What is a stillwater blue? im guessing its a sensitive waggler float, am i right? If you have a scanner, scan a picture in so that i can see one please. Regards, matt.

I use this fine 3BB waggler by Middy when bites are iffy.

float.jpg

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/

[This message has been edited by matt_shaw (edited 03 June 2001).]

Guest doc_tench

Hello mat

you are right it is a sensitive waggler very similar to the one you showed but the tip is about a third of the thickness infact about the thickness of a pencil lead! and to shot it i have a 5bb+!!!, i always cut the line at the end of the day with the shotting pattern still intact because it is a nightmare to get it right on the day,sorry i have not got a scanner hopefully someone can help!!

good luck

P.S if anyone knows where i can get some more in the s.e i would be grateful. smile.gif

Guest chris

rilliant float.I have a few in my box,and still give them an airing now and again.Once shotted up properly they are great.

Dont know if still obtainable though.

Chris.

Guest Paulg

So, can anyone give an idea of what the correct shotting pattern for one of the floats should be. I've just bought a couple for Crucian fishing, and was thinking of a standard waggler type shotting style, but from this thread it sounds like that might not be the case ?

Thanks,

Paul

Guest Polly

I've got a couple stuck away in my float box but haven't used them for yonks. Seem to remember them to be extremily sensitive but very hard to see when fished too far beyond the rod tip. Wish I'd thought of using one last Friday when I was having trouble contacting with some very shy biting rudd. Distance was no problem as I had them feeding right under my feet, but could I hit the bites regulary? NO!!!, I think I managed maybe 1 in 5. Still the kids learnt a few new words for the playground as I missed bite after bite. It was so annoying as when I did connect the fish were between 8oz and a pound and I missed out on a good netfull. Thanks for the memory jog, I know what I'll do next time.

Guest andygowans

hi doc,

i still use these floats,they are brill for lift bites when after tench,

instead of putting a swan near the hook i use a number 6 or 4 depending on conditions,

doesnt sound much but plenty of lift, saw some for sale on the internet cant remember where but when i find it i'll post it for you

andy

Guest doc_tench

you got it andy!! they are superb for the lift bite,and if the conditions are like a mill pond you can see them from quite a distance,and you can cast them for miles!!

And yes i too only use a number 6 so you get a great take either on the lift,or right under.

So many of them sit at the bottom of our bags unused,take the time to set it up right in the right conditions and it WILL put more fish on the bank!!

good luck