Need help with piking

ejmcdonald

my house backs onto the basingstoke canal and i don't have much spare time atm to go out fishing due to work and im relativly new to fishing but i fish in my garden when i have time and i knew there were pike in there but i didnt know where to start with pike so i was fishing for roach and bream.

Every now and again i will have no luck and catch nothing then two days i was reeling in a roach and as it got to the edge a pike chomped it my eyes lit up i wanted it so the next day knowing nothing about piking i went to my local tackle shop rod in had and asked them to set it up to catch pike, its now got a 10lb line a spinning trace and a lure on it but yesterday and today i hooked the pike and it managed to get away.

So my questions are;

Do i strike the rod when it bites?

If so how hard? (i don't know the weight but it is inbetween a foot and a foot and half long)

and what point do i strike the rod? (when it bite or a delay or how ever long)

thanks in advance for your help

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my house backs onto the basingstoke canal and i don't have much spare time atm to go out fishing due to work and im relativly new to fishing but i fish in my garden when i have time and i knew there were pike in there but i didnt know where to start with pike so i was fishing for roach and bream.

Every now and again i will have no luck and catch nothing then two days i was reeling in a roach and as it got to the edge a pike chomped it my eyes lit up i wanted it so the next day knowing nothing about piking i went to my local tackle shop rod in had and asked them to set it up to catch pike, its now got a 10lb line a spinning trace and a lure on it but yesterday and today i hooked the pike and it managed to get away.

So my questions are;

Do i strike the rod when it bites?

If so how hard? (i don't know the weight but it is inbetween a foot and a foot and half long)

and what point do i strike the rod? (when it bite or a delay or how ever long)

thanks in advance for your help

When a pike hits a lure its generally quite aggressive so you don't really need to strike as it should have hooked itself. Also, a pike a foot long isn't really going to test your 10lb line so you can probably bully it to the bank in under a minute. Have you considered deadbaiting? Simple method and I find it really enjoyable. Just get a pike bung, snap tackle and a few small sprats / mackerel / roach. With deadbaiting you should wait a short period of time when you see the float going instead of striking straight away as this tends to pull the fish out of the pike's mouth. But if you plan to keep on lure fishing, you will have set the hooks just by the pike hitting the lure and the tension already on the line so just try to get your rod bent as soon as you feel the fish hit if that makes sense. Hope this helps.

Have you considered deadbaiting? Simple method and I find it really enjoyable. Just get a pike bung, snap tackle and a few small sprats / mackerel / roach. With deadbaiting you should wait a short period of time when you see the float going instead of striking straight away as this tends to pull the fish out of the pike's mouth.

Firstly: I would strongly advise against deadbaiting at this time of year as in warm water conditions, the fish are likely to swallow the bait right away and you will end up with dead pike.

Secondly: Do NOT wait. If you are going to fish deadbaits, strike straight away. Leave a bite for even a few moments and you will end up with dead pike.

Thirdly: There are plenty of pike anglers on here with links to pike handleing advice in their signatures. Make sure you have the right kit and are confident in handling the fish (preferably as a result of having been shown by an experienced pike angler) or you will end up with dead pike.

If you are fishing lures, the "strike" is simply a sudden bending into the fish as soon as it hits the lure. Deep hooking is unlikely with lures but basic fish handleing skills are still required or you will end up with mangled fingers and a dead pike.

Sorry to be such a spoilsport but pike are very delicate fish.

Motherhen - best get your tin hat on......

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Firstly: I would strongly advise against deadbaiting at this time of year as in warm water conditions, the fish are likely to swallow the bait right away and you will end up with dead pike.

Secondly: Do NOT wait. If you are going to fish deadbaits, strike straight away. Leave a bite for even a few moments and you will end up with dead pike.

Thirdly: There are plenty of pike anglers on here with links to pike handleing advice in their signatures. Make sure you have the right kit and are confident in handling the fish (preferably as a result of having been shown by an experienced pike angler) or you will end up with dead pike.

If you are fishing lures, the "strike" is simply a sudden bending into the fish as soon as it hits the lure. Deep hooking is unlikely with lures but basic fish handleing skills are still required or you will end up with mangled fingers and a dead pike.

Sorry to be such a spoilsport but pike are very delicate fish.

Motherhen - best get your tin hat on......

I didn't think of the fact that its this time of year as I only ever go after pike in the winter months, :rolleyes: I've never once had a dead pike and always wait a couple of seconds after seeing the float move though.

Very valid points one an all but the best advice is probubly wait until Sept when the local PAC will have there first meeting your s would be region 14 Reading i guess ,Do a search for Reading Pike Anglers Club and i should show there meeting dates for the coming Pike season .

You will meet some experienced Pikers there one of which you should be able to tag along with to show you the ropes and how to deal with Pike once hooked ,Also tackle ie is your rod up to striking hooks home into there bony mouths .

Farnham Angling club if they are close enough to make it worthwhile joining do Pike angling days and you are not allowed to fish there waters for |Pike untill attending said day ,Just a thought good luck Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

What's a Pike bung? Is it like a gag?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

What's a Pike bung? Is it like a gag?

No it's a very old fasioned dumpy pike float - almost as old fasioned as waiting before striking.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No it's a very old fasioned dumpy pike float - almost as old fasioned as waiting before striking.

I was always brought up to wait for a few seconds and never had any casualties to my recollection. ...and I'm hardly old!

Perhaps we are in danger of overstating the delicate constitution of the pike? To the extent that some newcomers are going to be put off them altogether. Every time someone posts asking about piking from the perspective of a novice, then the collective intake of breath from ‘wiser’ folk is almost audible through the pc screen. I imagine it accompanied by much sage head shaking too.

I dead bait only occasionally, I find any type of fishing where one has to sit down (other than trolling from the stern of a boat) boring and especially since my stroke struggle to stay awake. Based purely on observations winter pike are just as likely to swallow a bait as a warm weather one and one may not get a clear indication from the latter due to their temperature dictated lethargy, they don’t always swim away with the bait in winter. Once the fish has picked up the bait and the float moves briskly off or goes under, or the line is moving off the bait runner (reel) then a steady silent count to 3 should be enough, then strike. Summer piking is a viable proposition, I am certain of this, we have pike in our waters, glacial lakes fishing them in the depths of winter may produce some fish to very good and /or diligent anglers, however overwhelmingly our pike are taken in summer, the last 2 weeks has shown some great fishing. I honestly don’t believe that we kill these fish by caching them in summer, there is no evidence show that we do, on the contrary we have started noticing the same fish turning up and being caught again. I did think that the waters were too big for that, and a returned fish would vanish never to be seen again. After being asked by a research team from Lancaster university , to weigh, measure length and photograph all pike caught on one water, the digital photographs, with the ability to zoom in on unique recognition marks has shown that individuals turn up again. Last summer a shore lure caught jack was returned on a Friday evening, only to be caught again on the Monday morning.

It’s worth introducing the pike’s disposition of swallowing baits at night, they do feed in the dark and for some reason, perhaps confidence? Are liable to guzzle down a bait down and become over deeply hooked. This is the case in both winter and summer and is a time when I would urge caution and perhaps second thoughts, especially if unused to handling pike, and the angler plans to sleep through the dark hours, fo they will not always be able to wake and respond to the situation. More often they will be half asleep, half dressed and too disoriented to fish properly. That is true of many night fishers not just pikers.

Have a go for the pike, have some long nosed pliers and a mat, if you land the fish described then it shouldn’t be too big and scary given the size you say it is. You will learn from experience, hopefully all will go well, if it goes badly and you have a damaged pike, then knock it on the head, my philosophy is that one should never go fishing without a priest (just in case). Let us know and I will suggest a couple of recipes, for above all else lets get things in perspective, it’s a fish.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

ej, see the links in my signature :thumbs:

btw, if lures are working for you and as you said your new to it then i think your heading in the right direction for now until you know a bit more about the technical side of setting up different types of rigs.

maybe your losing them because your striking ? sometimes its just bad luck.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk