Need help with piking

ejmcdonald

I hesitated to add the learn to deal with deep hooked pike thing as i knew the how long to wait before striking thing would arise ,Not a dig Emma and your 3 second rule sounds about right to me .

Take your point about the Pike police thing and i and others i susspect try not to be ,OP if you are realy stuck then pm me and i will take you out/meet you but if you go on your tod then make sure you have deecent lengty forceps unhooking mat ,cutters etc .....what did i just say about the Pike police thing :rolleyes: Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of literature available on the net regarding pike welfare the PAC probably being the best.

Piking does seem to be 'policed' heavily and a lot of people telling you how to suck eggs!

Stick with the lures and you'll eventually succeed!

Plenty of literature available on the net regarding pike welfare the PAC probably being the best.

Piking does seem to be 'policed' heavily and a lot of people telling you how to suck eggs!

Stick with the lures and you'll eventually succeed!

And with good reason to, they are the only fish in the UK freshwater i can think of that needs a good pair of long side cutters and its gut to be pulled out if its deep hooked

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

It's true, I agree. there are many who like to surround themselves with an air of mystery, take the high ground and heavily suggest thet they as keepers of piking knowledge are the only ones fit to fish for esox. yes look at the resources online and the books, go fishing with the experienced if you can find the real thing, you will find plenty who claim to have superior knowledge.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

It's true, I agree. there are many who like to surround themselves with an air of mystery, take the high ground and heavily suggest thet they as keepers of piking knowledge are the only ones fit to fish for esox. yes look at the resources online and the books, go fishing with the experienced if you can find the real thing, you will find plenty who claim to have superior knowledge.

It's not just Piking, there are those who have superior knowledge on all walks of angling :rolleyes:

Most of us mere mortals are just catchers and noddys who only ever catch a fish because we only fish stew ponds. Mugs who are sold over priced tackle and bait and are to stupid to know any better. If we get a good fish it's because the fish caught it self. If only we where blessed with the hidden secrets of the specimen angler who obviously fishes harder venues when the rest of us and so there catches are more worthy :rolleyes:

It's the subtle mystical knowledge that the wise sages have that sets them apart from all the mud puddlers that make them top rod. If they use a 12" hook length it's because they understand the mechanics of the rig and have made the choice to use every single rig part for a reason, but everyone else only uses it because Danny Fairbrass said so and because thats the way they come out of the packet.

If only we where all blessed with the secret knowledge of angling and knew the exact place to put a bait in a swim and during which moon phase but we rely on the chuck and chance as surely that is the only way most people could catch.

Pike fishing does have that air of mystery and the whole Pike Police thing can get a bit heavy but at least its based on trying to protect the fish and in the most part well meaning, but in other forms of fishing it is basically snobbery "my fishing is so much harder then yours and so is more worthy then yours"

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I am also quite a newbie to pike fishing, and I got all the same advice etc and although not meant to im sure, it did almost put me of the idea of trying it. Did kind of gave the impression if you arnt experienced every pike you catch will die, I know it isn't meant like that, its if something happens and you dont know how to deal with it bad things can happen.

In the last year, I've seen old boys who have been piking years do things that would be frowned upon im sure, yet pike still exist :rolleyes: . They are certainly are not made of glass.

I think the idea of finding a local pike angling club is a good one, Im going to have a look for one round my way.

Back to your question, I've never had to strike as such while lure fishing, they do seem to find the hooks on their own.

And with good reason to, they are the only fish in the UK freshwater i can think of that needs a good pair of long side cutters and its gut to be pulled out if its deep hooked

Indeed but all I'm saying is all the information is readily available and should be looked at beforehand.

I'm a big fan of summer piking and have had no experiences of pike dying after capture so am not going to take the advive of many who only fish for them after October the 1st because they want a pike full of spawn in the new year which is going to be a few pounds heavier! I think using ones loaf and proceeding using the upmost care to the fish is the most important thing.

In saying that though there is something special about walking down to the river on a cold frosty morning to soak a few deadbaits!

and its gut to be pulled out if its deep hooked

perhaps, but maybe only if your (or more accurately the pike) very unlucky or especially inattentive while fishing, it's a circumstance which is written about far more in forum threads than happens in reral time, that has been my experience anyway, I have avidly fished for pike since a child in the 60s and can only remember the hooks going down that far once, (and there have been hundreds of pike along the way) it was a ledgered herringin the autumn or 1978. The fish was a jack and I knocked it on the head and recovered the trace in the kitchen. It was my fault for swanning off up the shore with a spinning rod leaving my bait rod unattended, not something I would do now, but these things ahpen and we learn from them.

I don't think that it is especially helpful to scare people off piking with horror stories of deep intestinal operations.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

perhaps, but maybe only if your (or more accurately the pike) very unlucky or especially inattentive while fishing, it's a circumstance which is written about far more in forum threads than happens in reral time, that has been my experience anyway, I have avidly fished for pike since a child in the 60s and can only remember the hooks going down that far once, (and there have been hundreds of pike along the way) it was a ledgered herringin the autumn or 1978. The fish was a jack and I knocked it on the head and recovered the trace in the kitchen. It was my fault for swanning off up the shore with a spinning rod leaving my bait rod unattended, not something I would do now, but these things ahpen and we learn from them.

I don't think that it is especially helpful to scare people off piking with horror stories of deep intestinal operations.

Emma thats the thing though isn`t it maybe not a frequent occurance in deep glacial lakes but on a shallow canal i can tell you that in the warmer months they will woof it down found out to my cost many years ago face ,As Neil has hinted Lures are a better bet from this point of view esp on canals where covering lots of bank space can put you in touch with more fish .

Take your point about possibly scaring peeps off and horror stories and the Pike police thing which i try not to do but know the OPs venue and bait fishing in warmer months aint a great idea ,Just my take on it face Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: