Which Snake?

Guest Big Nick

Guest Big Nick

I was out fishing today at some pools in Shropshire. I spotted what I first thought was an eel swimming in the margins. Which on closer examination was obviously a snake. It was around 18” long and grey in colour with an arrow shaped head. It was difficult to distinguish if it had any markings.

I have only seen one snake before, which I believe was an adder as it had a criss cross, diamond shape pattern on its back and was in under growth, not swimming.

Has anyone got any idea what type of snake I saw today?

------------------

Big Nick

Guest fisherman

Nick, without seeing the snake, I would like to place a bet on it being a Grass Snake.

These do love to swim in water and will take frogs for food.

Any other suggestions welcome, but I would put it at 100% at being a Grass Snake.

Dave

Guest Umber

Big Nick, almost certainly a grass snake.It has the latin name natrix (I think) which means good swimmer.

Guest Big Nick

Hi Umber,

That looks like it, but it was slightly more grey than in your picture.

------------------

Big Nick

Guest Vagabond

Yes, almost certainly grass snake. By the way, don't make the mistake of picking a wild grass snake up. They are not poisonous, and unlikely to bite (although if they do, the wound MAY go septic 'cos of what gunge they have on their tiny teeth)

What they WILL do is exude a VERY nasty-smelling fluid onto your hands and clothes. It takes days of constant washing to get rid of it. I found this out the hard way when I was a kid. It is not as bad as skunk though - I remember a roadkilled skunk I passed in Texas - WHEEEEWWWWWWW!!!

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Umber

Nick, Could be the water had an effect on the colour and of course there will be variations, By the way which pools in Shropshire were you at? I live in Shropshire myself.

Guest davidP

Ive seen snakes swimming in several waters in Shropshire, in fact it's the only place I've ever seen a snake - I've never seen one on land! I've seen them in Randlay Pool, Dandy Pool, Middle Pool & Priorslee Flash, all in Telford. All were grass snakes except for Dandy Pool when I didn't get close enough but if it was a grass snake in that instance then it was a damn big one!

I've also see one swim across the Canal near Whitchurch, and at Brown Moss.

Guest Alan Pearce

If the snake was as grey in colour as you say, then it is possible it mat have been a slow worm, not a snake but a lizard. However young 'grassies ' can be quite dark especially when seen against bright water.

I love to see them especially when stalking frogs. smile.gif

Alan.

Guest Vagabond

I've stalked chub, trout, mullet and carp - never tried stalking frogs tho' biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Vagabond