Moving Pike

fridgeman

Hi, I did a spot of Pike fishing last weekend and had a good day. When the bailiff came round in the morning he noticed that I was after the Pike from the lake and said "any Pike you catch should be released into the river next to the lake as we dont want them in here". With that I said OK and off he went.

Now, I caught 5/6 Pike and I released them all back into the lake where they came from.

I did think about putting them in the river but it seemed the wrong thing to do to me for a number of reasons.

My reasons:

1.. If I put them in the river then I could be taking someone else's enjoyment away from the lake.

2.. If the owners/bailiff want them out then they can do it.

3.. Am I legally allowed to do this?

4.. I felt sorry for the Pike being dumped into what I think would of been an inadequate bit of river to support it.

In my eyes I did the correct thing but I was just wondering on how I would of stood on legal grounds. I think I read somewhere it was illegal to move fish from one water to another.

What do you think?

As far as I'm aware, you'd have broken the law if you'd removed them and relocated them to the river.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If you weren't prepared to follow the bailiff's instructions then maybe you should have stopped fishing the lake. Fish in the river, it's probably full of pike!

The bailiff is of course totally wrong, but it doesn't do to antagonise him. If an idiot like that gets it into his head to get rid of the pike himself they will suffer a far worse fate than any you can imagine!

Hi, I did a spot of Pike fishing last weekend and had a good day. When the bailiff came round in the morning he noticed that I was after the Pike from the lake and said "any Pike you catch should be released into the river next to the lake as we dont want them in here". With that I said OK and off he went.

Now, I caught 5/6 Pike and I released them all back into the lake where they came from.

I did think about putting them in the river but it seemed the wrong thing to do to me for a number of reasons.

My reasons:

1.. If I put them in the river then I could be taking someone else's enjoyment away from the lake.

2.. If the owners/bailiff want them out then they can do it.

3.. Am I legally allowed to do this?

4.. I felt sorry for the Pike being dumped into what I think would of been an inadequate bit of river to support it.

In my eyes I did the correct thing but I was just wondering on how I would of stood on legal grounds. I think I read somewhere it was illegal to move fish from one water to another.

What do you think?

I would have said, I work for the EA and could you please show me your licence for moving fish. I would have asked "is this an official action being taken by the club and can I have the club sectaries contact details"

I think you might have found him back peddling rather fast.

He might think again before giving out such instruction

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I had the very same thing happen to me a few years ago. It was specified to either return them to the river or throw them in the bushes. It was my first double figure pike too. I released it back into the pond and don't fish there any longer. I suspect this may be why this particular pond now has specimen tench in it.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Thanks for your thoughts guys, much appreciated. I had a feeling he was wrong but didn't like to question him too much, but now I now a little more with regard to needing a licence to move fish I will speak to him next time I go. As far as I know the lake in question isn't part of any club, it's a small family run private water I believe, not very busy but quiet and tranquil.

ColinW, don't worry, I didn't antagonise the chap. He came round later in the day and asked if I had caught any, my answer was of course No, the last thing I want to to is upset anyone.

Neil G, I love the river, it's my favourite place to fish without a doubt. The reason I'm fishing a lake is because it's so close to my partners house and she brings me lunch :)

I tend to save the rivers for weekdays and fish the odd lake on a weekend.

once again, thanks for your thoughts.

It's a tough one because the owner of the lake would be in their rights to kill them if he/she wanted so if you kick up a fuss then that may be what happens. But as others say, you need a licence from the Environment Agency (Section 30) to move fish from one body of water to another. This is one of the reasons why you mustn't use live baits from different waters because they may be carrying diseases and parasites etc. But you don't need a licence to "chuck 'em up the bank"............ Unfortunately.

Pike play an important role in any healthy and balanced mixed fishery. They shouldn't be viewed as 'vermin'.

Personally, I would stop fishing there.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Carry on fishing there and putting them back, and tell the cantankerous old bugger what he wants to hear :rolleyes:

A lot of baliffs are pretty clueless about such things, I doubt you'd be able to reason with him. Agree with all his words of wisdom and try not to catch a pike when he's standing next to you...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music