wire traces for pike

scoobs11

quote:

Originally posted by chesters1:

if you are a club member, check the handbook; ours have to be 24" which I think is a bit long but rules is rules :)

Some club! I mean .... 24 inches! I've heard of the 12-inch club in the States, but your club puts them in the shade :D:D Have you no consideration for sheep-welfare?!

___________________________________ Posted Image

Oh, you're talking about the length of your trace wire ! Sorry! :D

DG

P.S. I was, of course, talking about noses :D

_______________ Posted Image

[ 27. May 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12" seems fine for me, I think the tackleshop I go to only sell one brand/length 12" Sevenson Sports traces...haven't let me down yet.

Out of interest, as with the same question on hooklengths - how many times do people use a trace before changing?..or does it depend on the amount of stick it takes?

Tight lines

[ 27. May 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

quote:

Originally posted by awaaar:

Out of interest, as with the same question on hooklengths - how many times do people use a trace before changing?..or does it depend on the amount of stick it takes?

Tight lines

A very good point, awaaar ... wouldn't it be a good idea to post this as a New Topic?!

Length isn't everything! :D

Maybe also ask which brands of wire people use?

I'll answer there

DG

[ 27. May 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I use a trace until it looks worse for wear! I do check with a weight and scales. What I rarely re-use are the swivels. These do wear and the scale & weight check sometimes causes them to break ahead of the wire. I'm happy with Drennan seven strand. Never let me down. The 50lb is great for jerk-baits. Have tried some of the 'soft' wires but for lure fishing see no real advantage. I know some folk are keen on titanium but the swivel is the weekness so I hang onto my money.

Peter - you gotta quit buying those crap swivels then. :D

Take a look on www.catfishconnection.com and the BERKLEY CROSS-LOK SWIVEL SIZE 7 BULK if you use snap swivels.

#60lb test swivel that holds up well and in quantity isn't expensive. This one in boxes of 144 (the bulk pack) is under $33. The larger sizes aren't much more expensive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Have used the Cross-Lok and they're not bad but the Staylok on the following page are even more secure. Had a few Crossloks open up in my time, but never had a Staylok open when I least expect it. Watch the gif. Its a double action clip. If the hooked end for some reason slips off the shaft of the clip it catches on the loop and stays closed. When a crosslok opens up it well... opens up.

http://freespace.virgin.net/dave.lumb/tackle2.html

[ 27. May 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

The Diamond Geezer:

Have you no consideration for sheep-welfare?!

___________________________________ Posted Image

Oh, you're talking about the length of your trace wire ! Sorry! :D

DG

P.S. I was, of course, talking about noses :D

_______________ Posted Image

D.G. You have an unhealthy interest in sheep my friend! I think your extensive album of sheep pictures is a bit of a giveaway!