Pellets..

Guest Steve Randles

Guest Steve Randles

After a discussion on Paltalk, between some of Anglers-Net regulars, I thought i would ask here for the answers.

What are the differences between Carp and Trout pellets? Please be as in-depth as you like.

------------------

Tight Lines,Steve Randles

Anglers Rest

mailto:Anglersrest@go-fishing.co.ukAnglersrest@go-fishing.co.uk

Guest MTP IN VA

Shucks Steve, seems to me with all the talent y'all got on Paltalk ya could uh figgered this one out! Well ok here goes:

Carp - Them big ol' yeller fish we's always tryin' ta catch!

Trout pellets - the stuff ya use to chum in dem big carps!

There's one in ev'ry crowd! biggrin.gif:Pbiggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by MTP IN VA (edited 04 June 2001).]

Guest bart4real

Hello,

As far as I am aware, the only difference between carp pellets and trout pellets is the oil content. Due to the digestive systems of each species being totally different, the higher oil content in the trout pellet causes problems when given to a fish (carp)which is designed primarily for extracting small quantities of protein from large masses of rotting vegitation and silt. So the actual quantity of oil will vary but I am not sure what percentages are used in either.

Trout and Salmon are predatory species as opposed to carp which are omniverous. The diet of trout does not include flora where as the diet of carp would include a variety of both flora and fauna.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Randles:

After a discussion on Paltalk, between some of Anglers-Net regulars, I thought i would ask here for the answers.

What are the differences between Carp and Trout pellets? Please be as in-depth as you like.

Guest simonford

Trout pellets generally have between 25% and 45% oil in them whilst carp pellets usually have less than 20% oil in them.

As for the make up goes,I think that the 2 pellets are slightly different in what they are made with hence the reduction of the oil content.

Other than that I dunno confused.gif

------------------

Simon Ford

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by Steve Randles:

Hi Steve, there was a bit of a dust up on here a couple of weeks ago with regards to using trout pellets and the powdered form of trout food.

Some realy good points were made and I learned a lot. Suffice to say that there is no way that a trout pellet/powder will ever find its way into my bait.

It could be worth taking the time to find the topic again.

I have just answered Elton"s topic on a specimin carp section and this exactly why I like it the way it is.

I hope Bruno is about, he knows some ssstuff.

All the best

Alan(nl)

Guest Bruno Broughton

Woof,woof

OK, I'm jiggered, just in from a long day (i) valuing a lake complex, and (ii) controlling excessive weed growths on another.

Before I nod off, I will email Elton with some detailed information on the effects of trout pellets on fish in the hope that he can post them in the 'articles' section.

It's a complicated subject but - as a guide -trout pellets are fine in small quantities; when used to excess, the high oil/high protein content can (not 'will') compromise and degrade the immune system of fish, leading to outbreaks of bacterial and viral infections which, otherwise, the fish can fend off.

------------------

Bruno

Guest phonebush

Trout prepared pellets:

Soybean meal 48% protein 43.25%

Corn, yellow dent 21.50

wheat middlings 3.25

menhaden fish meal 60% protein 30.00

Dicalcium phosphate 1.00

mineral premix 0.40

vitamin C* 0.10

*top-coated aftger extrusion with animal fat as a carrier.

I do hope no one tells my trout they don't eat yellow corn.

Phone

Guest Gray-Catchpole

i said more or less the same on PT the other noght as bruno has just said.

one question, if its the oil content that causes the harm, what about one of my fave pellets silly pellets, these have an extreme amount of oils in them

------------------

Email:

Guest Simon Newbould
Originally posted by Gray-Catchpole:

one question, if its the oil content that causes the harm, what about one of my fave pellets silly pellets, these have an extreme amount of oils in them

hmmmm.......