Seen in The Daily Express today

Guest Simon Newbould

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi all,

Looks like a campaign is starting... Page 27 of today's Daily Express:-

"STOP KILLING FISH, WENDY BEGS SCOUTS"

"Pet Rescue presenter Wendy Turner Webster is appealing to Boy Scouts to stop fishing. The animal lover has written to the Duke of Kent in his cpacity of President of the Scout Association, asking him to "retire the Scouts' Angler Proficiency badge" on the grounds of cruelty.

Writing on behalf of the organisation People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), vegan Wendy,33, informs the Duke that killing fish is inconsistent with the Scouts' wholesome reputation and "setting out to attack animals.... is not in keeping with the image of Scouting".

Appealing to his traditional side, Wendy, who presents the Channel 4 animal rescue show, refers to the Scout Law that dictates "A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason". The letter appeals to the Duke to "put the violent pastime of fishing behind us and teach children to respect rather than kill wildlife".

In support of her letter PETA's spokesman Toni Vernelli says: " Scouts are supposed to be compassionate role models, not bloodthirsty fish killers"

Wendy has proposed the Angling badge be replaced by The Waterway Clean-up badge with the bob-a-jobbers clearing fishing debris from rivers, ponds and lakes, thus providing the Scouts with a "justified sense of accomplishment and civic pride".

Wendy, younger sister of fellow TV presenter Anthea and wife of former minder star Gary Webster, is a strong supporter of PETA. In February she was among a host of celebrities such as Joely Richardson and Dame Judi Dench who designed heart shaped cards campaigning for the better treatment of animals.

The Duke of Kent has so far not responded to Wendy's epistle"

So, there you go - anyone any good at writing letters?

Simon...

Guest rondo

Has Wendy Turner Webster checked her facts,I dont think she will find that Scouts are taught to KILL fish!

Originally posted by Simon Newbould:

Hi all,

"Pet Rescue presenter Wendy Turner Webster is appealing to Boy Scouts to stop fishing. The animal lover has written to the Duke of Kent in his cpacity of President of the Scout Association, asking him to "retire the Scouts' Angler Proficiency badge" on the grounds of cruelty.

Writing on behalf of the organisation People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), vegan Wendy,33, informs the Duke that killing fish is inconsistent with the Scouts' wholesome reputation and "setting out to attack animals.... is not in keeping with the image of Scouting".

Appealing to his traditional side, Wendy, who presents the Channel 4 animal rescue show, refers to the Scout Law that dictates "A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason". The letter appeals to the Duke to "put the violent pastime of fishing behind us and teach children to respect rather than kill wildlife".

In support of her letter PETA's spokesman Toni Vernelli says: " Scouts are supposed to be compassionate role models, not bloodthirsty fish killers"

Wendy has proposed the Angling badge be replaced by The Waterway Clean-up badge with the bob-a-jobbers clearing fishing debris from rivers, ponds and lakes, thus providing the Scouts with a "justified sense of accomplishment and civic pride".

Wendy, younger sister of fellow TV presenter Anthea and wife of former minder star Gary Webster, is a strong supporter of PETA. In February she was among a host of celebrities such as Joely Richardson and Dame Judi Dench who designed heart shaped cards campaigning for the better treatment of animals.

The Duke of Kent has so far not responded to Wendy's epistle"

So, there you go - anyone any good at writing letters?

Simon...

------------------

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi Rondo,

I quite agree - the point is though that she (they) now have this article in the Daily Express.... Typical Express readers will believe every word they read.

Whether or not the "facts" are correct is not even an issue I don't think..

If I was good enough at it I'd write to her and the Express personally - but I wouldn't know were to start.... Is there anyone out there with the know-how?

Simon

Guest gray-catchpole

i dont ever recall seing or hearing of a "bloodthirsty fish killing scout"

this needs a swift responce

again, my letter writing isnt up to it.

but there are lots of folk on here that would be able to do it.

dib dib

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

Guest Dave Hill

Angler Proficiency badge?

What an excellent idea!!!

I think we should write a letter to the express urging the Education Minister to make an Angling Proficiency badge available through our schools.

Our argument for promoting this would naturally defend our sport and promote the immense benefits of angling to young people and the environment.

In addition, I think we should point out to Wendy that on the very rare occasions when anglers do kill fish, it is for the table. This would give us another opportunity to point out that no body of people care for fish MORE than do anglers.

In addition, maybe we should write to the Duke to show support for the scheme. After all, we wouldn't want him to get the mistaken idea that PETA are anything other than a few misguided individuals...

Guest Elton

Don't forget to send a copy to The Express. Their highly skilled investigative journalists wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity to misrepresent the UK public, I'm sure rolleyes.gif

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest Alan Taylor

Simon...

What a load of old coblers this woman is talking.

I thought the idea of these badges was something to do with survival. OK, you can light a fire to keep warm, as a signal, to dry clothes and to cook on. They are taught to identify plants that are poisonous or edible. There used to be a badge for cooking. It goes on.

In Germany you have to obtain a diploma in fishing before they will issue a licience.

This teaches youngsters how to handle fish and I think that it should be implemented Europe wide. (IMHO)

What happened to human rights, angling is the biggest participant sport in the UK and is enjoyed by millions. Angling is also a bonding thing between children and parent(s).

Angling is a big earner for a lot of people as well as a boon to the tourist trade.

Why involve the Royal family and put them in a difficult position when they own some of the best Salmon and Trout waters in the UK.

Just one more thought, would this mean that the Express News papers will drop there angling section and the fish of the month award.

Some one give this woman hell or something else that I think she needs.

Alan(NL)

That feels bette.

Guest phil hackett

Hi all,

Simon...

Should this woman who is a supporter of PETA be hosting a show on pet rescue show ? Given that it is one of PETA stated aims to abolish the keeping of any pet for human gratification.

Its time to flood C4 E-mail system People!

Guest Dave Hill

Anybody know the following:

Email address for C4

Mail adrress for the Duke of Kent

(plus how do you adrress the letter? Dear Sir? Your Highness etc....?)

Address or email for the Express

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Dave Hill:

Anybody know the following:

Email address for C4

Channel 4 have a forum at:

http://www.channel4.com/c4info/index_r4.html

They seem to have a distinct lack of email addresses, though, as do the Royal Family, whose official site is at:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/

The Express, however, take the biscuit with this site:

http://www.express.co.uk/

I'll dig out some email addresses from my copy of the Editors directory when I get home later, if nobody has posted a suitable one by then.

Best wishes,

Elton