If you cross a Frog with a Yank

The Flying Tench

I've been reading a not-too-brilliant book by an American woman raised in Iowa who married a Frenchman and lives in Paris. She supposedly explains the differences in culture between the 2 countries. It struck me that a Frenchman might find a Brit to be a less-extreme version of a Yank, and an American might find us a less exteme version of the Frogs. What do you think?

john clarke

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't that be a Canadian?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I think that everyone's cultures are so mixed-up (in the homogenised sense) these days that it's an impossible question to answer.

For instance, I'm a fan of (mainly) English traditional dance and song. There are a lot of Morris sides active in the USA, plenty of English bands playing French music (especially for Welsh Border Morris), and pub sessions in parts of France where you can hear English, Scottish, Irish and Bluegrass music alongside the French stuff.

Food and drink has become largely internationalised. And you've only got to watch a couple of episodes of "Who Do You Think You Are" to find that people in the UK often have ancestors from Continental Europe, or ones that emigrated to the USA.

Once Wine, Women and Song are all in the cultural mix, there's no point in stereotyping. :D

I've been reading a not-too-brilliant book by an American woman raised in Iowa who married a Frenchman and lives in Paris. She supposedly explains the differences in culture between the 2 countries. It struck me that a Frenchman might find a Brit to be a less-extreme version of a Yank, and an American might find us a less exteme version of the Frogs. What do you think?

You get a Newt ? :huh:

1509tarpon_75_.gif

It struck me that

1. a Frenchman might find a Brit to be a less-extreme version of a Yank,

2. and an American might find us a less exteme version of the Frogs.

3. You get a Newt ?

1. I dunno. Can't think like a Frog.

2. Now THAT would be insulting.

3. Them is fighting words partner. 2073.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I wonder how many Americans understand that without the Frogs there may have been no "Yanks"?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Quite a few of us and I'd have been happy to know some of the folks who were over here helping in our dispute with King Georges troops or fought you folks over here a few years earlier (French & Indian War in the mid 1700s).

However, move forward a few years to WWI and more so WWII. Not the same attitudes as when they fought you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

corydoras,

I wonder how many Brits understand that my forefathers were kicked out of England for being thieves, idiots, political and religious radicals - kooks if youy will?

We Yanks come from great stock, at least the preponderance of us do.

Phone

corydoras,

I wonder how many Brits understand that my forefathers were kicked out of England for being thieves, idiots, political and religious radicals

Were they transported to Virginia, or did they leave of their own accord? One of my great-great-grandfathers was transported to New South Wales in 1833.

He was, however, one of the 5% who made it back home again, having decided that he didn't want to be an Australian! :D