Should we have a ban on Summer Pike fishing?

Dales

Ban on Summer Piking  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Summer Piking be banned

• Yes - Ban For Dead Baiting
    • Yes - Ban for Live Baiting Only
    • Yes - Ban for Lure Fishing
    • No
  2. 2. Who should make decisions on any Pike Season

• Venue Owner or Club etc
    • Government Agency EA etc
    • Angling Trust
    • PAC
    • Individual Angler
  3. 3. Does anyone Pike fish in the Summer?

• Yes with Dead baits
    • Yes with Lures
    • Yes with Live baits
    • No
    • Used to but no longer
    • Would like to but dont as feel pressured its wrong

It's a bit of an old thorny subject and I have never been sure which side of the fence I stand on, maybe I am sitting on the fence :D

I have yet to ever see a tired or distressed Pike caught in summer, yet many preach how bad it is to fish for them during the summer and I guess they are speaking from experience and knowledge gained from many years of Pike fishing.

So more in the spirit of healthy debate rather then having a strong opinion myself do you think we should ban Pike fishing in the Summer? Not sure how you would set out what the summer is Maybe start of June to end of August? Maybe even close it earlier then June or have it closed up until October.

If a blanket ban was in place the obvious problem would be how do you compare different venues say a deep cold scottish Loch with a small man made water down in Cornwall and Devon. It might be hard for a set ban to achieve what it is hoping to do due to variations in conditions from one end of the country to the other.

I often think the whole when you should and should not fish for Pike can seem like a real mine field and I do sometimes wonder is it more to do with tradition then based on just fish welfare. Or even fishery or club politics to when they set a predator season if they have such a thing.

I have tagged on a poll and for the purposes of it maybe count summer as start of June to end of August.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit of an old thorny subject and I have never been sure which side of the fence I stand on, maybe I am sitting on the fence :D

I have yet to ever see a tired or distressed Pike caught in summer, yet many preach how bad it is to fish for them during the summer and I guess they are speaking from experience and knowledge gained from many years of Pike fishing.

So more in the spirit of healthy debate rather then having a strong opinion myself do you think we should ban Pike fishing in the Summer? Not sure how you would set out what the summer is Maybe start of June to end of August? Maybe even close it earlier then June or have it closed up until October.

If a blanket ban was in place the obvious problem would be how do you compare different venues say a deep cold scottish Loch with a small man made water down in Cornwall and Devon. It might be hard for a set ban to achieve what it is hoping to do due to variations in conditions from one end of the country to the other.

I often think the whole when you should and should not fish for Pike can seem like a real mine field and I do sometimes wonder is it more to do with tradition then based on just fish welfare. Or even fishery or club politics to when they set a predator season if they have such a thing.

I have tagged on a poll and for the purposes of it maybe count summer as start of June to end of August.

Dales i fly fish for them in the summer in the Thames weirpools as the sport is fantastic and the water oxygenated ,Obvious areas that would not be to good are shallow estate lakes and any other low DO waters .

This rears it`s head on the PAC forum from time to time and normally the lure guys are for fishing then the bait guys against .

Is it any worse than targeting Barbel in low do conditions on the main parts of rivers ??Floppy hat brigade don`t seem to mind that face .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Bails - first off, welcome to Anglers' Net.

The potential problem has to do with the fact that pike are more active in warmer water (as are most fish & other cold blooded animals) so they fight harder and need plenty of oxygen. Their muscle structure is such that they are designed for short bursts of speed to catch prey rather than for long, "endurance" movement such as carp and many other fish.

Warmer water cannot carry as much DO (dissolved oxygen) so at a time when they need more, there is less available. Long fights in low DO conditions seem to massively stress this species and there is some thought they might literally fight until they die before they can be landed.

I think the fact that pike are not found in areas with warm summer water temps lends some strength to this argument. For instance, in the USA, pike are only found in the northern to central parts of the country and they aren't even found further south where summer surface water temps are fairly high when compared to UK water temps.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt :thumbs: for that and welcome to AN bails.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales i fly fish for them in the summer in the Thames weirpools as the sport is fantastic and the water oxygenated ,Obvious areas that would not be to good are shallow estate lakes and any other low DO waters .

This rears it`s head on the PAC forum from time to time and normally the lure guys are for fishing then the bait guys against .

Is it any worse than targeting Barbel in low do conditions on the main parts of rivers ??Floppy hat brigade don`t seem to mind that face .

Yes they do seem to fight well on flies and lures in the summer so it is easy to see the attraction and as I said I have yet to come across some of the problems that some report.

Oddly I was thinking of Barbel and Grayling which seem to fight to sheer exhaustion and require plenty of assistance before release. I have seen Barbel float past me belly up on numerous occasions during hot summer days back when I used to be a river only angler. Yet no one seems to bat an eye lid over the idea of fishing for them.

Maybe common sense and venue should dictate as you say a well oxygenated weirpool is a whol different place to a shallow estate lake. But it would be interesting to hear from those who have experienced problems with summer caught Pike

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Come on Stephen, not more mention of bans.

What happened to common sense, and an angler making his own mind up when and where to fish, and what for?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

What happened to common sense, and an angler making his own mind up when and where to fish, and what for?

John.

That's what I think should happen.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

No of course not, it's a ridiculous notion. The 'only pike fish in winter' is a worn out old load of nonsense with no evidence to support it. As someone has said, 'no more talk of bans please'. We could see fishin' being whittled away to nothing like a boy scout with a twig and a newly sharpened penkinfe, not from outside anti influences but from the inside.

In some parts of the country pike may do the angler a favour by making herself catchable in cold weather, and from that, this winter pike fable has wormed its way into angling lore. For many of us to only fish for 'em in winter, would mean it would not be worth taking out a license and a permit. The PAC support this notion too, hence their support of year round piking...leave it alone!

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"