Should we have a ban on Summer Pike fishing?

Dales

Ban on Summer Piking  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Summer Piking be banned

• Yes - Ban For Dead Baiting
    • Yes - Ban for Live Baiting Only
    • Yes - Ban for Lure Fishing
    • No
  2. 2. Who should make decisions on any Pike Season

• Venue Owner or Club etc
    • Government Agency EA etc
    • Angling Trust
    • PAC
    • Individual Angler
  3. 3. Does anyone Pike fish in the Summer?

• Yes with Dead baits
    • Yes with Lures
    • Yes with Live baits
    • No
    • Used to but no longer
    • Would like to but dont as feel pressured its wrong

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reluctant to ban anything.

I don't like the use of static deadbaits in summer but banning all deadbaits wouuld include a bad on wobbled baits.

You also have to think about the practicalities of enforcing a ban when anyone with a brain could simply say they were deadbaiting with another target species.

I choose not to target pike in the very early part of the year as I'm not really a fan of chasing spawn filled fish but I wouldn't ban others.

Similarly, there are a few fools who will chase pike in shallow warm stillwaters in the middle of summer which risks mortality due to to lactic acid build up in a low disolved oxygen environment. Practically though, you're only talking about a few days a year when it's a real problem and trying to formulate a ban that doesn't preclude perfectly sensible fishing at other times is just silly.

As I suspect that my responce to another thread may have started this, i should make it clear that my only real concern is when an obviously inexperienced angler is being encouraged to deadbait on a stillwater in summer and to leave the bite to develop. Yes, I may have been a little heavy handed but perhaps it's better to be heavy handed than irresponsible

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

As I suspect that my responce to another thread may have started this, i should make it clear that my only real concern is when an obviously inexperienced angler is being encouraged to deadbait on a stillwater in summer and to leave the bite to develop. Yes, I may have been a little heavy handed but perhaps it's better to be heavy handed than irresponsible

Yes, it was inspired from a few posts I have seen recently including yours :D

It does seem some times that the world jumps on anyone who even thinks about going Pike fishing if they do not have the correct credentials and the suggestion of summer Piking seems even more frowned upon.

A bit like Emma I am yet to see the evidence of the harm it does and she may be right that it is a lot on nosense but I guess some common sense is needed as to when and where to do it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I'm confused with this. Why ban it in the summer? Tired Pike?

I can see the live baiting issue, but what's the difference with banning pike fishing from the whole of coarse fishing?

This mirrors my thoughts - A very dangerous path to tread.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

This mirrors my thoughts - A very dangerous path to tread.

It's like many other things in angling. For instance, the use of keepnets. Some would have them banned except in matches. If people believe they damage fish when pleasure fishing, then surely they must do when match fishing. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's like many other things in angling. For instance, the use of keepnets. Some would have them banned except in matches. If people believe they damage fish when pleasure fishing, then surely they must do when match fishing. :blink:

John.

The problem with pleasure anglers are that they take to long to unhook and place there catch in the keep net and then they take there time taking them out one by one to release them or even just lowering the top of the net in to the water and letting them swim out :nono:

What they need to do is speed fish and learn to flick them of the hook and pack them tightly in to the keepnet that causes less stress and damage to the fish and most importantly you need to flatten the fish out before returning them by ensuring they are weighed along with 50lb of other fish on top of them.

But does beg the question why do so many worry about Pike welfare, what about all the other fish?

It must be bewildering to non anglers when they look at fishing. Some fish are given names and placed on craddles when caught, they are far to special to be placed of the ground and are then given funerals and eulogies when they pop there clogs. Some require you to have passed unhooking school before you are even allowed to think of fishing for them. Others are bashed on the head and eaten and yet others are not allowed to be taken and eaten. Some have trebles stuck in them and left to swim around for hours. While others may be crushed under the weight of each other. Some you can catch when ever you like, others only at certain times of the year.

What a mad world angling must look to the outside world and what a stupid world to boot.

Imagine chatting to your mate at the Pie and Mash shop down the Roman Rd in East London while he tucks in to some gellied eels (I know it's hard for those of you with country estates) and telling them that if you catch an eel you have to put it back. Oh and yes I do have to pay to fish for them.

The average Jo must think we are a right bunch of muppets.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I'm the last person that needs telling that the modern angling scene is hypocritical, and screwed up in general Stephen.

But it's now big business, so anything is acceptable.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm the last person that needs telling that the modern angling scene is hypocritical, and screwed up in general Stephen.

But it's now big business, so anything is acceptable.

John.

Damn hanging around here is getting to me, next I will be picketing commercials with a placard the only good Carp in one made in to fertilser :D

But I can do my bit and use small Mirror Carp for Piking, could not find them on the restricted list.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Amazed and saddened that people are livebaiting in summer despite the risks,

i lure fish come april/may and give it a rest when its too hot to walk around and go after the silvers fish come the height of summer then start luring end of september if the weather has cooled down.go deadbaiting october if the we have had frost.i mostly rule myself by water temp?

Edited by smudger

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.