Should we have a ban on Summer Pike fishing?

Dales

Ban on Summer Piking  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Summer Piking be banned

• Yes - Ban For Dead Baiting
    • Yes - Ban for Live Baiting Only
    • Yes - Ban for Lure Fishing
    • No
  2. 2. Who should make decisions on any Pike Season

• Venue Owner or Club etc
    • Government Agency EA etc
    • Angling Trust
    • PAC
    • Individual Angler
  3. 3. Does anyone Pike fish in the Summer?

• Yes with Dead baits
    • Yes with Lures
    • Yes with Live baits
    • No
    • Used to but no longer
    • Would like to but dont as feel pressured its wrong

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave dave play em hard get em unhooked quick smart and make sure they are ok before releasing ,don`t fish baits in the summer and if you want a reel chalenge then fly fish for them ,cardiac inducing when they hit the fly .

Dissclaimer this tactic is very addictive and can lead to more fishing gear B)

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

JV44,

Ha ha! You say, """"and make sure they are ok before releasing""". All my life I've wondered what to do if they are beat all to chit? Throw 'em in the bush?

Of course I know what you mean. We have several species that often need the angler to "swim" them for a moment or two.

Phone

Wholeheartedly 'NO' we should not have a summer pike ban. It would mean for some of us (if we adhered to it!) the end of our fishing. The PAC support all year round piking accepting that even within the UK there are considerably varying situations. Have a look at...

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/Summer%20Pike%20Fishing.pdf

I cannot help but view those who go on about a summer 'ban' as very self centered. As some of pointed out it would be especially difficult to enforce anyway. 'We' would just carry on using spinners and lures and point out that wire traces are used 'in case' as pike takes them but we are really targeting Ferox, Perch, Salmon and Sea trout. Or should we ban that too...it's a dangerous path to blunder down, calling for bans for this and that until our whole sport is under threat.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Dive head first into a glacial lake even in high summer and you will find water still cold enough to sieze you with cramps and stop your heart and send you permanantly to the bottom, as visitors (and some navie locals) find out with tragic regularity. Despite that the lakes come alive in summer and its the time to fish them.

Apart from anything else the fishable days in winter are so few, on the big lakes the pike move out of shore fishing range apart from a very few places. so sitting over static deads is generally a non starter. My son was home om leave from the middle east recently for 3 weeks, he was of course eager for some piking, we got one day where it wasn't irresponsible folloy to golaunch the boat due to gale force winds, driving rain, sleet and snow. I expect to start piking in earnest again in April.

If you give credence to what Mick says, and you could do worse, then have a rewad of his, Pike Fishing: The Practice and the Passion where he gives tips and guidence on pike fishing during every month of the year.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I'l promise not to fish for pike in the summer as long as carp anglers promise not to fish for carp... B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

When?

Phone

I believe he meant EVER.

Seriously Phone, it'd make you cringe how many muddy little pools we have over here, not even 1/4 an acre with 20-25 anglers sitting round them midsummer and even around 10 or so midwinter.

This link is a puddle close to me that I abhor, it has about 20 or so pegs and is usually packed- http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&su...ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

Its slightly to the left of the 'A' point. Should see it if you zoom in a bit...

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

No of course not, it's a ridiculous notion. The 'only pike fish in winter' is a worn out old load of nonsense with no evidence to support it. As someone has said, 'no more talk of bans please'. We could see fishin' being whittled away to nothing like a boy scout with a twig and a newly sharpened penkinfe, not from outside anti influences but from the inside.

In some parts of the country pike may do the angler a favour by making herself catchable in cold weather, and from that, this winter pike fable has wormed its way into angling lore. For many of us to only fish for 'em in winter, would mean it would not be worth taking out a license and a permit. The PAC support this notion too, hence their support of year round piking...leave it alone!

yes i agree fully i live in cumbria and fish the lakes with my farther that has fished these waters since the "60,s" and to say we couldnt fish for "our" pike in the summer would completely destroy our pike fishing as these are our best time of year on lures and on bait.