Almost a century old.....

Tigger

I went out for a trotting session today and decided to give the old 1915 12 spoke Allcocks aerial a workout. I've never actually used this reel up to now so was looking forward to seeing how it performed.

Anyhow, I was very happy when line peeled off the spool at the slightest hint of flow and it performed pretty much perfectly when Wallis casting. My first fish was a very nice roach of just over 2lb, then came a very decent chub ...then nothing :huh: . I continued to trot trying out several lovely looking glides that have always produced fish for me when I've let the float swim through them but the fish just didn't want a moving bait. I decided to change tactics, remove the float and slip a small bomb on the line with a split shot as a stop a couple of foot up the line from the hook which was a size 14's Kamasan Animal loaded with three pieces of sweetcorn.

I cast out into mid river, propped my rod up on my landing net/ rod rest and sat on my stone age seat (rock). I'd no sooner sat down when the rod tapped, then slammed round producing the fish in the picture below.

Within several minutes of taking the photo the weather took a turn for the worse and it began to get very windy with a few large spots of rain. I re -cast, sat down and 'bang' the rod tip ripped round again. At almost the same instant the rain came down that hard the droplets bounced off the river water and it was accompanied by gale force winds. From then on I literally caught a fish a chuck and so had to carry on fishing in the heavy rain despite having no brolly or jacket and getting totally soaked. I finished off with either 21 or 22 barbel (up to 9lb plus), one chub and two roach. A shame I had to ledger for the fish rather than catch them trotting but it was proper ledgering with a small bomb on a six pound mainline direct to the hook :).

24augustchub.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

24augustbarbeljpg.jpg

24augustsetup.jpg

24augustbarbelheld2cut.jpg

Edited by Tigger

What a great result and fun with that reel I imagine.

I've had days when the start of rain made the fish turn on. Makes for enough excitement that getting wet doesn't matter at all.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What a great result and fun with that reel I imagine.

I've had days when the start of rain made the fish turn on. Makes for enough excitement that getting wet doesn't matter at all.

I must addmitt if I hadn't been catching so many fish I'd have hopped it soon after that wind and rain kicked off. I'm expecting a cold and an aching back after sitting on that bloody hard, cold rock, infact my nose is blocked and my back's aching now ! :mellow::lol:

Anyhow, I was very happy when line peeled off the spool at the slightest hint of flow and it performed pretty much perfectly when Wallis casting. My first fish was a very nice roach of just over 2lb, then came a very decent chub ...then nothing :huh: .

That's quite some session. Congratulations. :)

Any photos of the 2lb roach?

That would be the fish of a lifetime for many of us on this forum. :o

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

That's quite some session. Congratulations. :)

Any photos of the 2lb roach?

That would be the fish of a lifetime for many of us on this forum. :o

I could have taken a pic of the roach but they never look like anything special at that size, especially just lying next to the reel. Another angler who I know dropped in next to me later and took the pic of me holding the barbel. Maybe I would have got him to take a quick snap if he'd been there when I got the roach. Thing is they always look unimpressive anyhow in a pic, they just don't look their weight. To be honest i've (along with plenty other people) had quite a few just below or above the 2lb mark recently but can't seem to catch more than one or two in a session. You'd expect to catch a number of them after the first one with them being a shoaling fish. I think I may try to target them with a low diameter bottom and some different baits, bread comes to mind as i've not used it yet and I don't think many if any others will have either as everyone seems to target the barbel and chub.

I could have taken a pic of the roach but they never look like anything special at that size, especially just lying next to the reel. Another angler who I know dropped in next to me later and took the pic of me holding the barbel. Maybe I would have got him to take a quick snap if he'd been there when I got the roach. Thing is they always look unimpressive anyhow in a pic, they just don't look their weight. To be honest i've (along with plenty other people) had quite a few just below or above the 2lb mark recently but can't seem to catch more than one or two in a session. You'd expect to catch a number of them after the first one with them being a shoaling fish. I think I may try to target them with a low diameter bottom and some different baits, bread comes to mind as i've not used it yet and I don't think many if any others will have either as everyone seems to target the barbel and chub.

Blooming Heck - I need to relocate to Lancashire and the River Ribble. Sounds like us southerners' gloom about declining stocks of quality roach is not matched up north... :unsure:

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Blooming Heck - I need to relocate to Lancashire and the River Ribble. Sounds like us southerners' gloom about declining stocks of quality roach is not matched up north... :unsure:

Lancashire yes, but what river it is, well I didn't say and the picture gives nothing away, I wouldn't want to upset it's other anglers :D

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you meant me! :lol::lol::lol:

I have still got just over 22 years to go, but I also own an Allcock's Aerial, and give it a whirl now and then.

A nice day's catch.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Another fantastic session Ian well done. Love the reel too, I'd be tempted if one in that condition came up for sale.

Just goes to show how you can improvise if you need to. Had you started out with the intention of fishing a static bait you probably would've taken a seat, rod rests, hair rigs and a load of other stuff you didn't really need to take.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Sounds like a great session :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek