Australian Carp Article

Elton

gozzer,

Wish I was smart as Newt. He can put up and example of "large numbers" of carp look like. NOT what you are talking about.

"Due to the feeding behaviour of this species, large

numbers can rapidly lead to a reduction in submerged

aquatic vegetation and a rise in the turbidity of the water."

The the best of my knowledge up until 1992 (when I stopped "caring - i.e. researching and challanging each such published statement I could find") there was no, zero, none, nada documented evidence of ANY case this was a true statement attributable to carp presence alone. You may, if you wish, check with the EA. They have (as of 1992) no documented evidence for this statement. It is a "common knowledge" statement of EA opinion. Carp don't, by choice, eat aquatic vegetation. We argued and argued what constituted "large numbers". They did conceed, in all probability the "condition" referred to is the result of "human intervention" in the UK. Further, they agree, it can and may happen with any of the many omnivorous species in the UK that eat all kinds of foods indiscriminately. Go blame the goldfish.

The Aussies come closers than anyone to making the statement believable in print.

The second paragraph is sadly true. But not BECAUSE of the carp. You are still trying to "kill the messenger".

Does Bruno come on AN any longer? I'm tired of this thread.

Phone

Worms, without the mf. (no, I'm between II and Korea. Number never came up in conscription)

Does Bruno come on AN any longer? I'm tired of this thread.

Phone

Me to, I got lost somewhere south of Croydon :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Phones, I too am tired of this thread, we seem to be going nowhere.

If it's any consolation, if you had asked me about this 30yrs ago, I probably would have agreed with most of what you say. However in those years I have seen what stocking carp in large numbers can do to a fishery. Whether you blame the carp, or those that stock them, the end result is the same.

We will have to agree to differ on this, no amount of evidence anyone provides, will take away what I have witnessed with my own eyes.

So unless I feel I need to answer, I'll let this thread die.

Cheers

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John