Australian Carp Article

Elton

But we do not have the plague preportion problems that they have

Yes we do !

We don't have self sustaining populations with the sort of densities that occur in warmer climes but we have no shortage of people stocking our otherwise natural waters with a plague of water pigs ready to utterly destroy the waters natural ecosystem.

Carp arn't a problem in small numbers but I really do loathe them where they're present in numbers.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

ARE there any predators that "keep carp fry in check" ?

The main problem in Oz is that carp muddy the waters, and the Aussie native predators need clear water to breed.

Don't be too complacent about it, every time I visit Texas to fish, there seems to be an increasing number of carp in the local lake.

The only sure thing that does keep carp fry in check is a cold winter - which is why carp have not been a problem in natural waters the UK - until the last 30 years, since when "carp lovers" have been stocking every water they can reach (Section 30? "Wots that then?")

Southern USA, like Australia, cannot expect a cold winter anytime soon

Vagabond been a decade since we were last out there but whilst fishing the Murray somewhere downstream of Echuca came across a sun weathered faced old fisho who thought that the colouration of the river system was as much to do with irrigation demands as the Carp?? not saying this is true his take mind ....massive amounts run off to the winerys farm etc then not i think was his point .

Must admit the carp i caught went back and with hindsight maybe that wasn`t the best thing ,with the numbers in there at the time it made as much sense as stamping on crays out of the Kennet thinking it`s gonna make a differance .

The other thing that maybe coulours the water is the increased number of Speed /wake boats hooning along it`s length towing some lunatic Ausie at speed ,I did manahe a Perch a yellow one from memory on a yardy grub i think and missed a craking take from the back of the houseboat whilst reaching for another beer :rolleyes: ,convinced myself it was one of the fabled Cod but who knows .

The Houseboat next to us caught a Cod and spent half the morning on the radio bragging about it :( Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes we do !

We don't have self sustaining populations with the sort of densities that occur in warmer climes but we have no shortage of people stocking our otherwise natural waters with a plague of water pigs ready to utterly destroy the waters natural ecosystem.

Carp arn't a problem in small numbers but I really do loathe them where they're present in numbers.

But they require the stocking to be there in such numbers, in places that have a "real problem" they breed and spread at a alarming rate on there own.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

.... old fisho who thought that the colouration of the river system was as much to do with irrigation demands as the Carp

Well yes, I said that carp muddied the water, not that they were the ONLY thing that muddied the water.

However, irrigation muddies the water during the growing season, floods muddy the water during the rainy season (which may vary a bit from year to year, but doesn't last long). The native fish used to breed during those parts of the year when the water was not muddy.

Carp, on the other hand, muddy the waters all the year round, so there is no "clear-water" season within which the Australian native species could breed.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well yes, I said that carp muddied the water, not that they were the ONLY thing that muddied the water.

However, irrigation muddies the water during the growing season, floods muddy the water during the rainy season (which may vary a bit from year to year, but doesn't last long). The native fish used to breed during those parts of the year when the water was not muddy.

Carp, on the other hand, muddy the waters all the year round, so there is no "clear-water" season within which the Australian native species could breed.

Vagabond ok i get it now they need the clear water condition for spawning /fry survival,no wonder they don`t like us [the Ausies] we give them Rabbits/Foxes/Carp and don`t even mention Blackberrys to them and after giving them Cricket we are at long last teaching them and the world how to play it again B) Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

No hanging Dave, and really no "anti carp squad", though it suits some to think that there is.

I said on another thread that although the carp have been here hundreds of years, it's only in the last 20 to 30 yrs that there has been a problem.

Like you, I enjoy catching a variety of species, but the artificial stocking of carp over the last few years, has/is causing an artificial change in the balance of species. I would still be moaning if this stocking policy involved species other than carp.

If you have a water that can naturally support a fixed weight of fish, with food to suit different species at various stages in their development. You then add a very hardy species that will eat just about anything, from minute invertebrates, to small fish, and have a habit of 'grubbing' about in weed and the bed of the water, thus altering the 'structure' of the water. You have a situation in which the resident fish are going to suffer.

Which species would you like to see decline because of this?

It has happened in the past when barbel have been introduced into new waters, also when bream are stocked in numbers, its just that carp happen to be the 'money makers', easy to breed, and therefore popular, so they are the ones causing the problems.

John.

I agree with what you are saying gozzer, but currently in the UK native species seem to live happily alongside the carp-- tench, bream, roach, perch etc records are still being broken. The fish can't be being pushed off the food that badly because they are still increasing generally in size. And other than muddying the waters (no pun intended) are they really doing that much damage. With crayfish they are eating away at the banks and causing all sorts of problems, carp don't seem half as bad as that.

I don't disagree with what you are saying gozzer i just don't see the problem with them so much

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

vagabond,

We seniors have to stick together or at lean on one another just to remain upright from time to time.

I've never been to Australia, I've said that before. So you have me at a disadvantage. The reason I need an advantage is that I believe the "muddy water" story is (what's the English word - ******) BS. First, my research began in the early 70's and ended in the early 90's. I haven't been active in limnology issues for some time so I am "dated" if not tainted. The only possible issue I ever found in the literature is nest suffocation. Not likely carp. As you indicate, carp do not eat the vegetation, they are searching for bottom dwelling creatures. They rarely stay with one location to suffocate a nest.

At the time, and perhaps today, Australia was a hotbed of "carp muddy the water". Not true. While a number of studies were conducted with that bias in mind none proved or even came close to proving carp put spawning natives "at risk" - even slightly. Perhaps there are newer studies I haven't read?

Carp are bad boys, no question and Aussies don't like carp - that became clear. Carp had become, even in the 70's far to prolific. But I think it is wrong to accuse carp of something that instinctively simply doesn't happen. You mention the major culprits. Agriculture, nature, industry, and human encrochment(sp) i.e. pleasure boats, jet ski, dams, river channeling. Carp have become a favored sporting anglers scape goat. They don't do that. They are meticulous and effecient grubbers actually.

In fact, some research found cloudy margins, usually not caused by carp, to be protective nurseries for fry from predators and actually increased the percent of spawn that survived to maturity.

The Aussies became a great source for the anti-carp research studies. Equally FWIW, the Hungarians are very pro carp researchers. The Aussies seemed to delight in an anti-UK backlash toward carp as carp were "catching on" in England. Maybe a cultural thing??

Phone

Ohh, also FWIW, I have never read ANY research from anywhere that supports the "muddy water" killing natives theory. Although I'll be the first to tell you carp "taste" exactly like the water they come from - foul or sweet - the water quality is in the flesh.

Edit: I must have gotten the English word right. It turned into *****.

Edited by Phone

The Aussies need to study the waters in the Florida peninsula. Nice warm weather, lakes & rivers that support large fish populations, plenty of carp to the north of them including the section of the Florida panhandle where I live, and zero carp down on the peninsula.

If anyone can figure out what conditions have led to the lack, they could probably make use of the information.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yet...The carp were introduced about 150yrs ago, and found the conditions to their liking.

Many waters over here have only had them introduced over the last 30yrs, and even if the conditions make spawning sporadic, then the constant topping up will ensure that their numbers increase.

John.

What do you think would happen to carp numbers if fishery owners stopped topping up the stock and left the water to its own devices John? Would a balance with other species be reached eventually or are carp so hardy and well established that they would continue to dominate.

If we are heading for a problem of Australian proportions can we still act to prevent it?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If we are heading for a problem of Australian proportions can we still act to prevent it?

Preventative action would probably work - we have the saving grace of cold winters that Australia has not, so once the artificial stocking in Britain ceased, carp populations would revert to lower levels. Remember how in the 1960's carp journalists used to write about "Winterkill" ? - haven't seen that word for some time.

Many British winters are too cold for carp fry to survive (has anyone any precise data ?, I'm sure I read some somewhere)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...