What bait?

Michaela

HI, 1 and all.. As I only fish during the summer months I am unsure of what baits are best to use now.. I float fish and i fancy going out in the freezing cold to catch me some fish!! I dont fish for pike! If you could give me some suggestions please.

what species michaela? carp?chub?roach?

most biats will work well,boilies,maggot,caster,my fave in winter -pepperami, the thing with winter fishing is not to feed to much very little is often the best way step up a little as you cattch more also cast around the swim if you arent getting anything,they wil be tightly grouped in fiarly deep water i would think.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I fished a smallish lake on Saturday and couldn't get a touch on bread and corn, I changed over the mixed maggots and started catching immediately. Admittedly after trying corn again to try to tempt a larger fish allowed me to bank a 1lb mirror carp (perfect looking little fish). Maggots certainly gave me the quantity but also I tried a caster and a red maggot together and this brought me a few better sized roach. I was also proud that I predicted where the fish would be by looking for shelter and where the wind was blowing to - this worked quite well.

James

IMHO I'd start with maggot, preferably on a river. You get less bites in winter, so for a first session to build confidence that there are fish around you want a bite-producer, that any fish will take - and that means maggot.

I'm not saying it's always the best bait - obviously that will vary from water to water - but, if in doubt start with maggot.

john clarke

FT is right.All rivers vary.My favourate is prolific for good Chub and Perch through the summer on just about any bait. This time of year I haven't seen a perch for weeks.I am however getting large Chub on three fat lobs on a big hook.Size 8 seems to be working. Ledger the line under a tree using a small swim feed of maggots. As I say this is working for Chub with me, this time of year, but took a few blanks to find out.

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Pinkies

you will be amazed at the size of fish that will feed on them in the winter.

Try singles or doubles on a size 20 / 22 hook ( mustad carp match, drennan super carbon or similer heaver gauge for carp ).

If float fishing set your waggler or pole float so that only a very tiny amount of bristle is showing and strike at any type of movement.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

On my waggler my main line this time of year is 2lb but on a commercial carp water I would use 3-3.5lb normal mono with some stretch in it.

I use high-tec hooklengths (map matchtek or drennan rig line) in 0.08mm round about 1.1lb if bites are hard to come by but would start at about 0.09/0.10mm.

It depends on peg (snags etc) species and if I can get bites.

If the water is clear I prefer the waggler over the pole as any fish will easily spot 11m or so of carbon waving over their head.

It also gives the option of searching out more of your peg.

If there is some colour is the water I use the same hooklengths on the pole but also use hightec main lines on the rigs.

Once I have found fish I will feed very little and mainly to bites but will not put in more than 8 pinkies at a time.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!