Invasive Species in the U.K.??

severus

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockling:

quote:

Their gloomy prognosis was that the brownies would eventually become extinct on all major Scottish waters.
Are browns native to the U.K.? I had presumed that they were from Germany, since folks over here call them German browns. Hopefully, they rebound in numbers for you. Now that's one fish that we are glad to have introduced here.

Gorgeous fish.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Hi, Severus, do u know I don't have a clue! I know that various species of char, closely related to the salmon family, in Scottish Lochs date back to the Ice Age or before, different Lochs, different species, and they are very deep, both the fish and the Lochs, yes, they have different populations which are unique. Where did the brownies come from? On the webbed feet of ducks or the trout equivalent of an Appleseed Johnnie? LOL, reminds me of another thread, you can get a full working DUKW for £14,500, Johnnie, who can drive/sail it is looking for a bottle of malt! We return big brownies now as we consider them an endangered species (got my trout fishing hat on now, it tends to slip over my tiny eyes, what use are barbels if they are on your chin?)- biggest brown trout I ever caught was 2lb 15 1/2oz (yes the one with the riparian rights insisted on weighing it, such a fine fish, fed my family, but that was in happier days when the rivers were full). Anyone know where the brown trout came from after the Ice retreated? Serious question!

Rocky.

P.S. since I read "Trout Fishing in America" I am a total expert on nefarious practices in Mexico? I read far too much.

Rockling:

quote:

We return big brownies now as we consider them an endangered species (got my trout fishing hat on now, it tends to slip over my tiny eyes, what use are barbels if they are on your chin?)- biggest brown trout I ever caught was 2lb 15 1/2oz
If you like catching and eating browns, come on over man. They're eveywhere. River browns tend to be smaller but much more colorful; lake-run browns get fat eating alewives and smelt - the big ones are called football browns because they look like American footballs. Lake-run browns are not as pretty though - they lose most of their colors but keep their spots.

Not sure how to post photos on this site, but here's a pair of females I got two weekends ago on Lake Michigan:

Lake-run browns

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Nice looking pair of fish for sure.

What part of Lake Michigan?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My wife is from right across the lake - Milwaukee. Too cold up there in winter for me. Brrrr.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

EA Enforcement bailiff. This species whilst once being prolific and the bane of naughty anglers everywhere, is now in danger of extinction as their breeding numbers dwindle. However, help is at hand with a forthcoming captive breeding programme. This will take place at Calverton where fishery scientists are already working with two captive breeding pairs and things are looking good. Five already bred have begun to walk and speech is expected within days. Once fully grown they will be released along rivers and in and around still water environments.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Damn those dodgy condoms. :D

quote:

Originally posted by Rockling:

[QBP.S. since I read "Trout Fishing in America" I am a total expert on nefarious practices in Mexico? I read far too much. [/QB]

"The chores can wait" the Kool-Aid wino said, wasn't it? (Bertrand Russell couldn't have put it better?).

Must go dig out my copy and check out the state of my memory. Been too long... :cool:

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.