Eels eeuck!

Guest danzante

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear all

First of all let me say this...I would not advocate eating any eels which were caught from our waters..too many problems with their health...and yours if you continue the trend for too long.

They are full of mercury for a start and they have lead deposits also. This is one big problem with the new Otters that are being released into the countryside. Otters have trouble getting through to long life from two causes...

1. Cars. They get run over a lot, just like Hedgehogs.

2. Eating too many eels and becoming over- leaded.

There is another parasite that lives in eels and is also not a nice flavour adder to the eels natural taste.....but then I don't eat eels, so I won't have to worry about any of this.

The parasite is a problem I do worry about but that is because it may well see the end of any future eels becoming resident in our waters.

Eel netters, eel eaters and eel killers are issues that I will leave to other people to discuss...this is not the place for re-education of the ways of thoughtless actions. That, and I don't want to get depressed on my holiday weekend, OK.

The questions have been answered as well as they could be, given the complete contrast of all eel waters. What is good on one water may be less effective on others....its trial and error...and that is what makes consistant big eel fishing a very difficult section of angling to keep plugging away at.

Everyone who has 'tired' of going for big carp, pike, zander, tench, etc...have had a bash at getting one big eel on their notch list...very very few have sustained the desire over two seasons, never mind continued to target big eels.

I think that 3lb is a good weight to place as being a big eel...certainly it is a sensible weight to place a specimen at.

If we continue to allow our stillwaters and rivers to be fyked and netted in differing ways then the only criteria for a big eel will be any eel caught.....sounds too dramatic doesn't it!!!!!....well, bear with me on this, OK...trust this next statement and believe its realisation......IF we allow this netting scenario to continue then there will be no realistic eel fishing to be had in this country. I believe that they may well become the next specie to go from our shores and waterways....I hope I am wrong.

Rivers being netted can only become sorted by the E.A. intervention. Netters need a time limit when they can go about their work...the eels need a period when they can move freely without the boundaries placed on them at this moment in time. The E.A. need to clamp down hard on illegal netters and initiate a sensible monatory rate for a netting licence...and monitor them with the full force of the law.

All water owners should stop allowing netters to go about their business on any waters for a long time to come. Anglers in all clubs should move this motion at all the club AGM's...not for the eel fishermen/women but for the quality of the waters environment. Eels have a role to play in our waters...otherwise they wouldn't be there. This is common sense.....taking them away is not.

I shall put one myth to bed now for all those angler's out there who don't like the slimey things......eels are not scavengers.....they are the most adapt and top predator in the waters we fish.....nothing comes close.

They deserve more respect....I hope it comes before it is too late.

Eels over ground is one scenario that I am at odds with other eel anglers. I believe they can move over ground....I don't think they do it for fun.

The documentary 'Tales from the riverbank' had footage of eels travelling over land...I hope that everyone reading this doesn't think that the cameraman was given an lifetimes achievement award for having captured this amazing piece of footage......If you go eel fishing and sack up any you catch til morning and then release them from the sack, away from the waters edge...well away....they will always make their way towards the water after a short compass bearing....I have never seen one turn left out of the sack and then decide to travel the length of the field, find the entrance and catch a bus to the next lake.

Eels find their way into 'Prisoner waters' through the water line under the ground sometimes...large eels can move through gravel easily.....elvers would have no trouble making their way through the water table.

Some 'prisoner waters' once had ditches running into them 60 years ago.....not a long time in an eels lifecycle.....our lifetime though, is nearly up.

Elvers I think follow any water course, no matter how slight....larger eels can do so if they are forced in to it. Pollution, Pressure on a water, or the drying up of a water source may initiate this move if the conditions are right.

I have never seen an eel on land other than by being placed there by an angler.....via the 'chuck over the shoulder' movement. When I have seen them...they have been dead.

I am open to these sightings but do not think that it will ever be explained.......

All I will finish with for now is this......If you ever find yourself lucky enough to catch an eel of four pounds or more....you will be in awe of the fish. It will certainly make you want to catch another one.

Please do me one favour this year.....release alive any eels that you may catch by accident, or by design, whilst out after your particular targeted species.

If you find yourself hungry....contact me and I'll buy you some crisps or something, OK.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

Guest danzante

I am more the wiser and respectful, as always, from your excellent posts,

Long Live the Eel. ( and me )

Danny.

------------------

Guest trent.barbeler

Steve,

As I have already said previously,

Eel catchers hold me spellbound with their tales of the eel.

Wonderfully put in respect of the species.

Much work to do conserving eels methinks but as you know Steve, by working together we will get there.

Another great post Steve.

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear Daisy (I love that moniker Trent gave you)

Stunned and humbled by your reply...spread the word for Anguilla anguilla. I shall remember it and repay you in time, OK.

Lee....it will be a long hard road but I believe that something can be achieved with the right kind of presentation to the E.A.

Our rivers are this countries motorways for the eels.....those who cherish the rivers will have their say and I believe they will be heard eventually.

'Together'...now thats a nice word.!!!!

Yours With Respect....

Steve.

Guest Clive

Danny,

Thanks for starting the tread, its obviously got some lads talking. Eelfisher (steve) and tony have summed up between them emphasizing that it is just as much the mystery and antisipation of fishing for an uncertain quarry that makes eel fishing so adictive for us seriuos eel anglers. Yes they fight like hell, and pound for pound they beat almost any other fish. Unlike many of the big Carp they dont have names, we all see the pictures of the 30's and 40's in the press but how many people do we know who have caught 6lb plus eels intentionally, theres not very many!!

Trent (lee) thanks for your comments on our efforts over the years regarding conservation , thing look to be improving with the recent reviews and recommendations etc. Thanks for the reference to the code of conduct its all sound advice, will be in touch shortly.

Oregan Dave : Yes there are eels on the Atlantic coast of USA,a different species Anguilla Rostrata but very similar in apperance and lifecycle to our UK eel (Anguilla Anguilla)

Steve and Tony : for once you've saved me writing pages of comments, god eeling to you all

Clive (Gen Sec Eel Study Group)

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear Clive

Thanks for the kind words....

Stuart Dean posted as eelangler twice on this thread and I think that much of the good came from him and Tony......I waited a while before having my say.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

By the way.....Spike had a 3.10 last night, worms at 2.00am....good news and the phone call this morning was full of future eels to come.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

Guest eelangler

eelfisher,

it looks like a few people are confusing you with me. It might be an idea if I change my moniker.

TTFN

Spac-e-man

Guest Spac-e-man aka eelangler

Eelfisher and all other Forumites,

I hope by chabging my username from "eelangler" it will save any more confusion. I'm sure eelfisher doesn't want to be mistaken for me!!!

TTFN

Spac-e-man

Guest Paul Williams

Yeah it was getting confusing!! i can't remember which one of you i mailed private now.....about that dead easy eel water full of 6plus eel biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear Paul

Me thinks it might have been 'B.T.'...or Tony to you lot out there.

Stu, Spac-e-man.....aka eelangler......

Why change, these sensible anglers should know the difference between our postings...they only have to read the sense you write and the real posh way I sign off to see the line.

Besides, I want the eel promotion to continue via the moniker's.

Tony's is the one that'll stump them until they decide to phone him up!!!!!

I am sure that the eelinghedgehog will not get confused with our names and that has eel in its title.!!!!

I am going to post an eel thread later this week because I want to see what those out there who do not eel fish regularly think about certain issues.

I'll be back.....

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

PS..I worry for these gentlemen and ladies once they know that we go under these psudi-whatsitcalled-names of Spac-e-man, Flukins, The Whisperer, Dances, Spike and Snigman....even I have forgotton the real names of half our membership.!!!!