Where did the water go?

Leon Roskilly

There's a 50:50 chance that Chesters will... :P

Also, sorry to reference the 'Giant Impactor Theory' as 'the Moon twatted the Earth'. Unfortunately, unlike you Cory, my memory isn't the best. I remember the details of theories but I often forget their names.

Renrag

I was listening to an astronomy podcast last week and one of the presenters mentioned the Great Impactor Theory. Up until then I, like you had heard of the concept but not the name ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the hat fits wear it! I am skeptical of your skepticism. I expect you to get educated and not just stick your fingers in your ears and say "BLAH, BALAH, BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU" just because you don't like the message. I think the ads are stupid, although I can think of a few creationists (evolution deniers) that I wish I could do that to.

So it ok for warmist's to call sceptics names but not vice versa,very child like and unscience like.

And you can tell from less than half a dozen posts that i am uneducated,seems you are the one with their fingers in their ears, you've not adressed one question i've put to you yet.you come across like the climate scientists Mann, Trenberth,Jones etc i know best mentality,see i can do the ad hom attack as well.As for my sceptical outlook well lets just say you've more than reinforced it with your petty reply

i won't waste my time replying to you anymore, key board know it alls get very boring after a short time

Edited by smudger

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

I didn't think the real issue was whether the Earth is warming, I thought the issue was, why? I advocate that it is a natural phenomenon myself but respect that others don't agree. Neither side in my opinion can, as of yet to my satisfaction as a relatively uneducated man, provide definitive evidence either way.

Anyway, that still is not the crux of the 'problem'. It shouldn't be about laying blame, it should be about how we alter or adapt to the world as it inevitably changes, hopefully for the better.

Unfortuantely, Chesters is often right when he argues that evidence can be and often is 'manipulated' by unscrupulous scientists but I also maintain that in less contentious (usually) areas, most scientists can be trusted to act for the good of mankind, valueing discovery, revelation, knowledge and truth over the size of their bank balance.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

not sure i deny "global warming" as bunkam but i do not see the evidence its down only to man kind and its use of oil which the governments ,industry and anyone else who can benefit in some way insist it is.

generally the planet and its climate is cyclic its either going to warm up or its on the way back down to a bit of cooling and its always been like it and it will be like it probably for the time the earth exists.

man certainly isnt helping ,cutting down huge tracts of forest that lock up CO2 and generally over breeding using up the rest for agriculture to feed itself.

now i dont really worry myself i wont be round long and my kids and grand kids are lucky enough to exist i a temperate country where even a 5 degree temp hike wont be so bad .If ofcourse the gulf stream stops (more fear generation to extract money) then we would stay exactly as we are today as the gulf stream bumps our temperature by about the same

The great thing is when the oil runs out its suggested the planet could only support 500 million people ,so the unfortunate will perish most probably as nature intended ,then when man is back once more to a pre industrial revolution number the survivors can easily see it wasnt down to man in the first place and those taxes ,laws and rules and the general shenanigans the rulers of the time got up to was for their benefit not the world as a planet or its inhabitants.

the planet itself wont even notice the span of mankind and its failings we are a tiny speck of life that lived and been wiped out like countless species before us even for millions of years before oil existed as oil and far further back ,when mother nature shrugs off a 80% loss of all life on the planet and recovers without mans help it will again

if ofcourse the government were concerned it would use all electric cars not gas guzzlers ,refuse to fly on "fact finding missions" to exotic places ,use their PC's to speak to the other industrial nations instead of spending millions having conferences and then tax aviation fuel at the same rate as ferking petrol! and turn the bloody lights off in and around government and "public" buildings to save money like were bloody forced to by the bloody price of electric!

the governments idea ..... blimey the ice melting...... we will solve it by flying all over the world and talking to other people flying all over the world whilst guzzling champagne and caviare while their voters shiver in dark unlit rooms back home :angry: then we will fly back !st class then put another few pence on the fuel tax (they don't pay )to punish us for causing it and then charging us for the nice outing they just had on the back of it :wallbash:

then they will force (by bullet or bribe) the oil producers to stop their nasty money making schemes selling oil by taking over and controlling it so our rulers can enjoy their privileged lifestyles far longer than we can our subsistent ones

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

not sure i deny "global warming" as bunkam but i do not see the evidence its down only to man kind and its use of oil which the governments ,industry and anyone else who can benefit in some way insist it is.

generally the planet and its climate is cyclic its either going to warm up or its on the way back down to a bit of cooling and its always been like it and it will be like it probably for the time the earth exists.

man certainly isnt helping ,cutting down huge tracts of forest that lock up CO2 and generally over breeding using up the rest for agriculture to feed itself.

now i dont really worry myself i wont be round long and my kids and grand kids are lucky enough to exist i a temperate country where even a 5 degree temp hike wont be so bad .If ofcourse the gulf stream stops (more fear generation to extract money) then we would stay exactly as we are today as the gulf stream bumps our temperature by about the same

The great thing is when the oil runs out its suggested the planet could only support 500 million people ,so the unfortunate will perish most probably as nature intended ,then when man is back once more to a pre industrial revolution number the survivors can easily see it wasnt down to man in the first place and those taxes ,laws and rules and the general shenanigans the rulers of the time got up to was for their benefit not the world as a planet or its inhabitants.

the planet itself wont even notice the span of mankind and its failings we are a tiny speck of life that lived and been wiped out like countless species before us even for millions of years before oil existed as oil and far further back ,when mother nature shrugs off a 80% loss of all life on the planet and recovers without mans help it will again

good post Chesters1,

I am with the cyclic thought too.

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

there's a 50-50 chance someone's right

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

the good of mankind, valueing discovery, revelation, knowledge and truth over the size of their bank balance.

Renrag

Where does this idea come from, this notion that being a professional scientist is a well paid occupation?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

who said its well paid but treated cleverly a job for life ;)

who would say as i did in my example everything is fine and actually i'm not needed? ,you cannot yet beat natures wrath but with cleverness you can exploit it to gain financial reward and for ever if your really canny ,if your job is threatened as the percived threat is lessened by nothing actually happening simply up the anti and get more funding so keeping your job for longer

tell me do we employ volcanologists? if so why?

scientists rarely work for themselves but are funded by either companies or organisations who income depends on whatever the scientist is going on about ,the scientist is merely getting an income but his employees are getting far more than a warm glow they are doing it for the benefit of mankind and a mars bar! All the time the scientists can over hype the press and ofcourse the governments the more his master gets and he keeps his job ,simple economics off the back of a perceived fear just as billions are made from terrorism and it is over hyped to the extent countries are invaded because some beardy bloke "may" live in a cave in it ,ofcourse in many cases even if its all bullshine the government will act knowing it is as it has its own agenda ,mr beardy and his cave has oil in that country as well ;)

ofcourse in another scenario ,scientists and other so called experts said saddam had WMD and nuclear making lorries ,strangely oil was about there too ,its called mutual back patting ;) so long as mr scientist say what the government need him to say his employers get their reward as he does ,the rest of the time you can extract tax dollars just because he says it true or not

Edited by chesters1

who said its well paid but treated cleverly a job for life ;)

who would say as i did in my example everything is fine and actually i'm not needed? ,you cannot yet beat natures wrath but with cleverness you can exploit it to gain financial reward and for ever if your really canny ,if your job is threatened as the percived threat is lessened by nothing actually happening simply up the anti and get more funding so keeping your job for longer

tell me do we employ volcanologists? if so why?

A job for life. that's a joke too. Tell that to my Nuclear Physicist friend who was made redundant from the DRA four years ago and hasn't been able to find a job since.

A job for life. that's a joke too. Tell that to my Nuclear Physicist friend who was made redundant from the DRA four years ago and hasn't been able to find a job since.

thats called all your eggs in one basket ,you dont need to be a scientist to know that ;)

whats to know about nuke bombs thats an old story ,we cant use them as we having nothing to drop them and we have to ask america if we plonk them on a missile ,i'm surprised we have any nuke scientists in a war sense or do you mean nuclear other than death and destruction ;)

if were on the hot end of a strike the government are fine so mr scientist has little use today in that sense ,are we still under the perceived threat of nuclear destruction as we were before russia folded (popped in a saddam but nothing came of that nonsense) no then nota lot of use for your friend ,perhaps he should whisper that the IRA has started producing them thats worth a bob or two i'm sure

Edited by chesters1