Where did the water go?

Leon Roskilly

thats called all your eggs in one basket ,you dont need to be a scientist to know that ;)

whats to know about nuke bombs thats an old story ,we cant use them as we having nothing to drop them and we have to ask america if we plonk them on a missile ,i'm surprised we have any nuke scientists in a war sense or do you mean nuclear other than death and destruction ;)

if were on the hot end of a strike the government are fine so mr scientist has little use today in that sense ,are we still under the perceived threat of nuclear destruction as we were before russia folded (popped in a saddam but nothing came of that nonsense) no then nota lot of use for your friend ,perhaps he should whisper that the IRA has started producing them thats worth a bob or two i'm sure

Why do you assume he was working on nuclear arms? He wasn't.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you assume he was working on nuclear arms? He wasn't.

i didnt i presumed but note i asked if he was ;)

do you mean DERA ? which ofcourse is probably losing money using the nuclear threat as a money maker?

when companies lose money the workers go long before their bosses usually

an extremely qualified workmate i knew got a job at AWE i bet his job isnt as safe as the uni one he left :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Leon,

The article at least indicates there is more than one idea on the subject. Perhaps it is true one is in the majority and more "politically" correct. On this thread terms like "man made" are impossible to refute. I have tried, I can't seem to locate the guy that invented "man made" carbon? I believe the number one source of methane gas is still orginated from bovine waste.

Smudger,

If its a "discussion", it is usually better not to use personal pronouns like "you". That seems pretty personal regardless of how obnoxious the one person considers the second position to be. Your antagonist seems to delight in "half truths" or "maybe" couched as "truth" and isolated examples as "trends". It is not hard to be smarter than an ambivolant subject if one dispenses with the emotion.

The fact is, we will not, in all likelyhood, change the industrial complex in the next couple generations (or even 50 years). By what wild stretch of the imagination is mutual distruction a bad thing? It is pretty fundamental to our species. It is war on a different plane. Disaster, if it comes at all, is likely food and water distribution (for whatever reason) that will have persidence. Personally I doubt if it amounts to humankind extermination. But if it does - it does. We've had doomsayers since the spoken word.

Phone

Where does this idea come from, this notion that being a professional scientist is a well paid occupation?

I know a few are but the majority are not. What I was trying to say is that, as in any walk of life, there will be the unscrupulous few who value personal gain over 'clean test tubes' but I do believe that most are truthful and dedicated to their chosen path.

I also find it fascinating that scientists, in looking for an answer, will often have to branch off to follow their own 'discovery trail'. Unfortunately many/most branches will lead to dead ends and as such the possible end of a career. I have a lot of respect for the scientists that take the risk and do so. I know there is the lure of possible fame etc but there also has to be an element of pioneering spirit to do it in the first place.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Resigned because it was peer reviewed not pal reviewed, by the small cliche of climate scienctists that review each other papers :angry:

As for sceince not being very well paid???Copy and Pasted from wuwt

Heres jim Hansen and Gavin Schmidt pay rates for 2010

Hansen is ES 00 and made $158,832 in FY 2010. Gavin Schmidt is GS 15 and made $136,791 in FY 2010. :o

Plus Hansens side earning include this

Public financial disclosures and other documents reveal that he has received at least $1.2 million in the past four years, more than doubling his taxpayer-financed salary.

nice if you can get it :mellow:

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

Smudger,

I concur, remember, often the "science" thus the performer is working from a grant from a private source with a pre-determined agenda. So, salary (grant renewals, etc.) are often "results oriented".

Phone

(did that make any sence at all?)

Smudger,

I concur, remember, often the "science" thus the performer is working from a grant from a private source with a pre-determined agenda. So, salary (grant renewals, etc.) are often "results oriented".

Phone

(did that make any sence at all?)

I'm not a scientist but my pay is "results orientated". If I don't work, I don't get paid. I my work does not provide the solution to the customer's problem, I don't bill them for it. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Resigned because it was peer reviewed not pal reviewed, by the small cliche of climate scienctists that review each other papers :angry:

As for sceince not being very well paid???Copy and Pasted from wuwt

Heres jim Hansen and Gavin Schmidt pay rates for 2010

Hansen is ES 00 and made $158,832 in FY 2010. Gavin Schmidt is GS 15 and made $136,791 in FY 2010. :o

Plus Hansens side earning include this

Public financial disclosures and other documents reveal that he has received at least $1.2 million in the past four years, more than doubling his taxpayer-financed salary.

nice if you can get it :mellow:

Why don't you tell us who Jim Hansen and Gavin Shcmidt are?

Jim Hansen is Head of NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

Hansen was born in Denison, Iowa. He was trained in physics and astronomy in the space science program of James Van Allen at the University of Iowa. He obtained a B.A. in Physics and Mathematics with highest distinction in 1963, an M.S. in Astronomy in 1965 and a Ph.D. in Physics, in 1967, all three degrees from the University of Iowa. He participated in the NASA graduate traineeship from 1962 to 1966 and, at the same time, between 1965 and 1966, he was a visiting student at the Institute of Astrophysics at the University of Kyoto and in the Department of Astronomy at the University of Tokyo. Hansen then began work at the Goddard Institute for Space Studies in 1967

Gavin A. Schmidt is a climatologist and climate modeler at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

He was educated at The Corsham School, earned a BA (Hons) in mathematics at Jesus College, Oxford, and a PhD in applied mathematics at University College London.

He has published over 70 refereed articles in journals such as Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Science, and Nature, and was named In November 2004 as one of Scientific American's "Top 50 Research Leaders" of the year.

His main research interest is climate variability, both its internal and the response to climate forcing, investigated via ocean-atmosphere general circulation models. He also uses these to study palaeoclimate by working on methods to compare palaeo-data with model output. Schmidt helps to develop the GISS ocean and coupled GCMs (ModelE). This model has been "isotopically enabled" to carry oxygen-18 tracers, allowing the model to simulate the pattern of δ18O observed in ice cores, cave records and ocean sediments.

Nice work if you work hard to get it.

I guess PNAS and Nature are just a couple of your "pal" reviewed journals too, huh?

Richard Dawkins earns a pretty good chunk of money. Does that mean that evolution is bunk too, or what about Stephen Hawking? I hear that he makes a few bucks as well, does that mean that Astrophysicists are lying to us.

Cory,

Sorry, I should have said, "pre-determined" results - i.e. confirming. I don't think anyone would even suggest there is no bias in "scientific research". Don't you think "pal" review is commonplace. Especially when "theory" is being postulated and reviewed.

Phone

Edited by Phone