still water barbel - depressing news.

Guest lyn

Guest trent.barbeler

Lyn,

As I have already made my personal position clear on a previous thread concerning the stillwater barbel issue, nothing I can say here will further my defence.

However, given the passionate strength of your posting on this subject Lyn, I wondered what you thought about this seemingly "NEW"

initiative concerning barbel in stillwaters from the Barbel Society

Guest Newt

I obviously have no personal stake in this issue but have been following the thread with interest. Several comments to make.

1. It is wonderful to see a thread where poster do not agree with one another but where there is no invective. Reasoned discussion and agreement/disagreement only. smile.gif

2. Re. the comments that if they can't breed they can't live a "natural" life - with the implication that this is a Bad Thing: How many of us keep pets at home and have them fixed so they don't ever reproduce? I certainly do as I do not need a house/yard full of puppies or kittens. I've never noticed that the pets have a sub-par quality of life.

3. Re. stocking them in the rivers - if the rivers with very low populations were such a great habitat for the Barbel, they shouldn't need restocking should they?

4. Re. stocking Barbel in still waters being somehow bad for river Barbel - possibly quite the opposite as people may well get enthused about the fish and want to try for a river caught one. Gives you a larger base of Barbelers which should make for a stronger showing in matters concerning this fish. More people = more voters = more pressure on the politicians.

Guest fisherking
Originally posted by trent.barbeler:

Lyn,

As I have already made my personal position clear on a previous thread concerning the stillwater barbel issue, nothing I can say here will further my defence.

However, given the passionate strength of your posting on this subject Lyn, I wondered what you thought about this seemingly "NEW"

initiative concerning barbel in stillwaters from the Barbel Society

I think what trentty is saying is.

Is there a bit of hypocricy here or in other words "what is that smell".

John.

Guest trent.barbeler

John,

Please, that may be your perception of my words but that was not my intention.

If it was, be assured, I would have said what I thought.

My thoughts here are for Lyn herself. After reading Lyn,s posting, it was obvious that she has strong feelings on this issue.

In a past thread, Lyn has posted on this issue before with equal passion.

I just wanted her views on the BS position.

Guest Graham E

It's interesting that people ignore areas of debate that don't fit.!

Jonty, et al..It's OK to put barbel in keepnets then?

Newt, good post. Most re stocking in rivers is carried out because of pollution affecting the water.

Ask you dog/cat if he/she/it enjoyed the experience, and by the way we are talking fairly primevial creatures here rather than an educated pet. Although maybe in the captive ponds we can experiment and just "ring the bell" for feeding!

I saw a program on dear old Rex Hunt a year back. Barramundi, a wonderful river fish packed into a lake for pay as you catch.

Is angling meant to be sporting?

Guest Graham E

Trenty

I think it's not Lyns views we need but the BSocietys.

It needs to be an firm negative.

Guest STEVE POPE

I'll spell it out now and that's it as I am too busy at the moment to become embroilled in this.

The Barbel Society is totally against the stocking of barbel into unsuitable habitats and that means stillwaters. Our position has not changed since the day we were formed and I have lost count of the hours I have personally spent fighting the cause.

Three years ago the Committee agreed that it would prove useful in the long term to be able to monitor and study barbel that had been stocked into these habitats.

It has proved difficult to do this, but now an opportunity has presented itself to allow a study to be carried out.

Ian has already made his case and I do not agree with the stockings that have been made.

Ian has only recently joined the Society but as he has previously stated, we have worked together in organising barbel fishins on RMC waters at Fishers Green.

Waters I might add that are some of the best controlled and bailiffed that I know.

But the deed is done, the barbel have gone in. What do we do?

I get the impression from some of the responses that you have the answer.

Throw him out, problem solved.The Barbel Society does not act that way.

I only wish some of you had to actually take the decisions, you might find its not quite so easy as you would expect.

An opportunity has arisen that we wish to take, that does not mean we support the stockings or are hypocrites.

I have no doubt regarding the folly of these stockings and am totally convinced a study will prove this.

Those who cite stillwaters were barbel have spawned, please produce the evidence.Anecdotal responses only serve to cloud this issue.

Guest trent.barbeler

To all,

I have spoken to Lyn privately and she will respond perhaps tomorrow.

Please be gracious when/if replying to her words. In my opinion, this girl is well worth supporting. Not just by BS members but by all who post on AN.

I believe Steve Popes intentions here are well meant. My only hope is that the BS are

not left with egg on their faces at the end of the day.

Unusually, I have very little more to say.

Guest poledark

It's just a thought but how does anyone know that the barbel in question will be unhappy in "still" water?. Just maybe they will be as happy as pigs in s**t.and live a sedentary life of luxury.

The EA do not know, Ian does not know and as far as I can ascertain no one else does either. One simple fact we do know is that these fish have been brought up in still water and have done quite well so why should they not continue to do so in a lake.

Having said that I am not to happy with the idea that they will be targetted by match anglers week ,after week, but then I feel the same about carp. Let's just hope we do not see these barbel with deformed mouths after a couple of seasons, or piled into keepnets. They do not seem to be as tough as carp and I hope Ian's baillifs keep a very close eye on things and report swiftly if they spot any dead ones.

We could be on the verge of a real breakthrough in the pattern of barbel fishing,for me fishing is about two things, one is the finnesse and skills needed to catch and the other is the real thrill of hooking a real lump and what if these barbel start to grow to 25 or 30lbs? I think I may be tempted to have a go( maybe even with my pole)

Noone screamed when barbel were first stocked in the Avon(if God meant them to be there he would have put them there) so lets give them a chance and wait a few years to see the outcome.

poledark (dennis Darkin)

Guest phil hackett
Originally posted by STEVE POPE:

Three years ago the Committee agreed that it would prove useful in the long term to be able to monitor and study barbel that had been stocked into these habitats.

It has proved difficult to do this, but now an opportunity has presented itself to allow a study to be carried out.

Steve

Is this to be a scientific study under recognised scientific protocols?

If so could you list them here?

You stated, “Those who cite stillwaters were barbel have spawned, please produce the evidence.Anecdotal responses only serve to cloud this issue.”

Turning the above quote round Steve, “Do you have evidence that barbel don’t spawn in stillwaters or is it just an assumption/opinion with little or no evidence to date?” Hence the acceptance of the above study.

I asked of Lyn & BS above, whether the opposition to barbel in stillwaters was a moral or scientific one. To date neither have answered that question as yet. I, and I suspect others reading this thread with an open mined would like an answer to it please!