Great White Sharks In The UK

Elton

Piece on the BBC website, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14657123

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That article is a mess.

First off, I thought the Mako issue had been put to bed years ago with Joyce Yallop's fish agreed to be a misidentificatiob of a porgie.

Then we have "In 5,000 hours of observing Seawatch SW has only seen one predatory shark" right next to "5,000 hours scanning the seas off southwest England in the past five years but the only predatory sharks seen have been single blues and threshers"...erm, that's at least two !

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Sharking really is in a parlous state in UK waters..... just look! ....a few more than two there!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

From your link. "The Gulf Stream influence on the West Wales Coast have produced large sharks..."

Global warming?

Phone

No Phone, the "Gulf Stream influence" or North Atlantic Drift as it's more acurate to call it is here now. If we get global warming (a cyclical event) the melting polar ice cap will displace it and the UK will have very cold weather.....as do other countries at our latitude. It's the N.A.D. that keeps us temperate.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

No Phone, the "Gulf Stream influence" or North Atlantic Drift as it's more acurate to call it is here now. If we get global warming (a cyclical event) the melting polar ice cap will displace it and the UK will have very cold weather.....as do other countries at our latitude. It's the N.A.D. that keeps us temperate.

I go on forums where saying such a thing would get you hung......heretic :D:D

It is now widely accepted that NAD would/might still influence the Uk if the sinking to the north of the denser cold water stopped, as the NAD is mostly wind driven and the Coriolis Effect (Earths Rotation) would still push the warmer water west/north west

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

I go on forums where saying such a thing would get you hung......heretic :D:D

It is now widely accepted that NAD would/might still influence the Uk if the sinking to the north of the denser cold water stopped, as the NAD is mostly wind driven and the Coriolis Effect (Earths Rotation) would still push the warmer water west/north west

How do you know that? Widely accepted by whom?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Maybe this observation is incorrect but over the years of seeing great white activities food is the main factor for them to be in certain seas. In the Med they appear to follow what is left of the tuna stocks, South Africa and Australia it appears to be seals, California it would appear to be seals and surfers lol and the east coast of the US it would appear to be the same.

Now some sharks like the tiger shark do from what I have read hunt different species of food items in different areas and are known to travel thousands of miles, where as the great white appears to be a creature which resides in a more restricted area.

Do they ever tag great whites in order to track their habits more closely?

We do have the right attractions for them water temp and seals plus a few surfers but I am sure if they were about in any numbers we would have many sightings.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

This article seems well researched, well presented and ultimately, sensible. An interesting aside on Makos towards the end regarding two specimens caught in UK waters. No pictures though unfortunately.