Wingham Fish-In 12th/13th June - bookings now being taken

Steve Burke

After last year's fabulous fish-in I was asked to post the proposed dates well in advance so that members can make plans. Unless we have a major weed problem early season, Wingham Fish-Ins will always in future be the weekend of the second Sunday in June. That makes this year's dates June 12/13th.

I know many of you have expressed an interest in coming to Wingham after the recent near-record bream at 17-14 (at less than 12 years old!). You can read more details about this at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...t=012829#000000

At last season's event we had tench to 8-07, several 2lb+ perch, whilst Rob Ward beat his personal best in no less than 4 different species!

I'll bring this to the top every so often, but in the meantime you can read about last year's do at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...t=010377#000000

You can also click on the link on my signature at the bottom of this post to see how things have gone since then, and also more about the complex.

Who can come? Anyone who's reading this! However, although the venue is 40 acres, places will be limited. If necessary priority will be given to those who haven't been before. Otherwise it'll be first come, first served.

What's the cost? Nothing! It's both a thank you to Elton for hosting the Wingham web site, and also a chance to meet friends from the Forum.

Where is Wingham? On a nature reserve in the middle of nowhere near Canterbury, Kent. The loudest noise is normally birdsong!

When is the venue open? I've experimented with 1, 2 & 3 day fish-ins before at Wingham. This year will be a 2 day event with the fishery open from 9am Saturday to 9pm Sunday. You're welcome to fish overnight.

Which lake can I fish? The Coarse Lake only, which is 40 acres and contains most species.

Can I bivvy up? Yes. You can also sleep in the clubhouse which has toilets, a kitchen and a shower. Alternatively you can kip in the car park. Accomodation can also be arranged nearby.

What restrictions are there? No keepnets or nuts are permitted, neither are lures nor fishbaits. Also no barbless hooks above size 10 are allowed. Please use barbed, preferably micro-barbed hooks. 3 rods are permitted. Full rules will be sent nearer the time.

What tackle should I bring? The venue is very little fished and therefore the fish aren't tackle shy. Weed will be growing fast and with the very high average weights a minimum of 5lb line and preferably stronger is recommended. If fishing boilies please use 14lbs+ line with a hooklength of 12lbs+ as you may hook a monster carp!

What baits would you recommend? All common baits catch such as worm, maggots and corn, but remember the lake is very little fished and so unusual baits are not likely to work so well without pre-baiting. Above all, do make sure you have worms, preferably lobs. I can order lobs, dendras or redworms for you from the local shop if given advance notice (the Wednesday before the event at the very latest).

What are the best tactics? The most important requirement is to keep quiet and still as, although the fish aren't tackle or bait shy, they are very easily spooked due to the lack of fishing pressure. The fish have definite patrol routes and, with the huge amount of natural food (Gaffer reckons any weed you retrieve crawls back in!) the fish aren't likely to move off these routes. So the best advice I can give you is to thoroughly plumb the swim and fish the margins as most of these are on patrol routes. Bear in mind though that most of the swims are deep, typically with 10 feet at the bottom of the marginal shelf.

What can I expect to catch? Wingham is a big fish water, so although you're not likely to catch lots of fish (and may well blank) you've every chance of specimens, especially tench and perch, not to mention near-record bream! For further details click on the link on my signature at the end of this post.

How do I book? By e-mailing me at peggyandsteve@tiscali.co.uk not by leaving a message here please . However, you're welcome to ask questions here as others may find the answers helpful. Please note that I've been having e-mail problems recently, so if you experience difficulty please e-mail Peggy at futurefinds@tiscali.co.uk or PM me.

[ 21. May 2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all those coming to the Fish-In

I'll be there to help out Steve in any way I can and to say hello to you all.

Just like to wish you all the best of luck and hope the weekend weather is kind for everyone.

For those not coming.....Your missing out!!

Regards DaveL

Steve Burke:

What restrictions are there?  No nuts are permitted

Well that rules out half of us!!

Tight Lines - leon

ps I'll be along, even if there's no room for me to fish :)

OOOOps! I mean I WON'T BE COMING!

(just in case the weather fairies are monitoring the thread!)

[ 15. May 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest NickInTheNorth

Is anyone going to the Wingham fish-in going to be passing near either Luton or Stansted and fancy picking up an itinerant islander en-route?

I'd love to visit Wigham and meet up with a few names and faces, but can't run to a hire car for the weekend.

Obviously more than happy to help out with travel costs etc.

To the top. Only a few bookings so far.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest NickInTheNorth

Can't believe that there are only a few bookings Steve, maybe it's too far for folks to travel

I'm counting the days, and just hoping that there are some big tench and perch willing to bite.

Looking forward to meeting you and any other AN members that come along.

A real shame as I would love to have had the chance to fish at Wingham but as I am now committed over that weekend and am reluctant to give back word :( Still, if the dates remain the same should the fish-in happen next year then I'll hopefully be able to keep that clear.

Paul