Paste

smalltincup

Hi All

Hope all is well with everyone

Quick question, can you make paste from freezer boilies? If so how do you do it.

Cheers Guys

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

Hi All

Hope all is well with everyone

Quick question, can you make paste from freezer boilies? If so how do you do it.

Cheers Guys

STC

You could but it's cheaper just to make the paste direct. To make from boilies grind them down in a liquidiser and mix with egg. I have always made paste just from the base mix etc - i.e. a normal boilie mix, just don't boil it.

Rob.

Smalltin,

Rob's way would/will work. Just remember you can't "store" raw egg for very long. Use up what you make pretty quickly (like the same day).

We call "paste" doughballs. Look on the internet for "doughball recipes". There will only be about 3 million or so different ones. If you see something that intrigues you ask about it.

My favorite (I'll use American Ingredients by name, you'll have to convert to an English product you have available)

42 oz cylinder box of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (be sure it is Old Fashioned and not "Quick" oats.)

1 (standard size - I forget the oz wt - maybe about 15 oz) can of cream style corn

3/4 hour before you are going to use this bait put the oats in a large sealable freezer bag with 3/4 of the can of cream style corn. Fluff it about until it is mixed (fluff ofter). The warmer the weather the quicker the oats will absorb the corn. After about 45 minutes take a palm full from the bag and with you fingers and thumb of the other hand squeeze as hard as you can exactly 5 times. If you wish to add exotic flavoring now is the time. Slowly, with brief intervials and fluffing add the remaining 1/4 can of cream style corn until the bait is the consistancy you want it to be. Personally I use a very dry doughball.

We also use a LOT of Wheaties breakfast cereal and cream style corn. Or, Wheaties and "red pop".

Rice and grits are favored cereal bases too. (Try well cooked rice with tomato catsup.)

We don't do boilies and hair rigs but we sure know our doughballs.

Phone

(I should say, you squeezed exactly 5 times so you would be able to tell when to stop adding liquids. Once you have the bait the correct wettness to suit you I usually squeeze about 7 times before casting.) Really stiff doughballs will stay on a hair if you wish. With a dry doughball, maybe consider a piece of artifical corn on the hook as an "underlay".)

Edited by Phone

Cheers Phone. Have made a copy of that and have put it in my fishig file.

Have decided to buy some. The reason I asked was have final managed to gte hold of some mailine pulse boilies and wanted the paste to go with, while I was at it brought a pot of the pop ups to. I understand that mainline has stopped making the Pulse line now, shame as it is my favourite Boilie never not caught on it. Guess will have to find a new one soon, Did however buy 3kg of pulse and am planning on gettting a couple moe kg and storing it in the freezer (wife will not happy, as i will be taking up the space)

Cheers for the help there guys, great as usual.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

Smalltin,

Rob's way would/will work. Just remember you can't "store" raw egg for very long. Use up what you make pretty quickly (like the same day).

That's correct but you can easily freeze it. If you're just using for hookbaits then you won't need tons - depending on the fish activity. If you're unsure how much you'll need then take spare paste frozen in a flask and use it or return it to the freezer at the end of the session.

Rob.

Is there anything you can make from slightly turned freezer baits?

If Air dried/shelf lives get a slight bloom on them you can "wash" them then re boil them and re-dry them.The reason for the bloom is normally that they weren't properly dried out in the first place or have got damp or "sweated" in the container.No problems. However if they have started to actually "turn" (as freezer baits do so easily) then its not worth it just chuck em!

After all why spend all that money on a ticket,getting there,tackle etc and use second rate bait?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If Air dried/shelf lives get a slight bloom on them you can "wash" them then re boil them and re-dry them.The reason for the bloom is normally that they weren't properly dried out in the first place or have got damp or "sweated" in the container.No problems. However if they have started to actually "turn" (as freezer baits do so easily) then its not worth it just chuck em!

After all why spend all that money on a ticket,getting there,tackle etc and use second rate bait?

by a slight bloom do you mean the white stuff on the outisde? If so, yes this is what i mean. I had a bucket full the other week and was a bit gutted about chucking em, but knowing you wash them off and re freeze them is handy! Am i right in thinking the white stuff is the sugars coming out, like with oldish chocolate?

gone