Are Shimano reels made by Okuma?

peter mccue

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your mail.

Okuma does not and has not in the past produced any reels for Shimano.

Okuma brand is produced in our own factories, which are 100% owned and operated by Okuma Fishing Tackle.

If Okuma did produce for Shimano, we feel the quality would be the same, but that the Shimano reels should be cheaper!

Best regards,

Jessica Lin

Sales department

Finally got a reply from Okuma, which carried the expected response, but at least we can now rest easy in our beds. :)

Incidentally, had a fair old search for some parental link between the companies but found nothing, however it wasn't exhaustive.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

The plot thickens but Miss Lin sounds a nice girl!

Okuma manufacture a reel for a £1.00, sell it to am importer who sells it for £2.00. The retailer then sells it to us punters for £4.00.

Okuma manufacturer a reel for a £1.00 and sell it to Shimano Japan. Shimano Japan then sells it Shimano UK for £2.00. Shimano UK then sell it to the retailer for £4.00. The retailer then sells the reel to the punter for £8.00.

Same reel, same quality, double the price! And I haven't included import taxes etc.

Along comes trusting punter, thinks £8.00 reel is better than £4.00 reel, must be, it cost twice as much.

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

The plot thickens .........

I don't think so at all, viz.

Okuma does not and has not in the past produced any reels for Shimano.

end of story/question/thread

DG

You are a trusting man DG :D !! But, I'm sure you are right!

Visited my local Angling Direct Super Bore today. Plenty of stock to drool over, but the prices, wow!!

But whilst in there I noted that the more expensive Shimanos are made in Japan, whilst their cheaper ones are made in Malasia. Also noted that Okuma reels were made in China, which isn't Malasia! So who makes reels in Malasia for Shimano?!! The mystery deepens.

Saw some very nice new Diawa reels. Shimano had better look to their laurels!

Peter maybe I'm missing something here - if I am I apologise - surely the Malaysian Shimano's are being made by a Shimano factory situated in Malaysia, seems logical to me.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Who knows Peter. It seems equelly logical that Shimano do as other 'names' and buy in from other manufacturers. The scale of production by 'own label' factories could mean that it is cheaper to farm out production rather than actually build it themselves. Your guess is as good as mine! But the feedback that I get from some trade friends suggests that I might just be right!! Not that it matters one single jot, just be interesting to know though.