Are Shimano reels made by Okuma?

peter mccue

peter mccue:

I thought line getting trapped under the spool had been consigned to the history books!

Not with my Shimano Sahara 4000 GTE it isn't, apart from that it's great though, especially bearing in mind that the majority of my fishing is on small rivers where tackle takes quite a bit of punishment. If this is less of a problem on the more expensive models I might think about forking out the extra and getting one.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to go back to the original question as to whether or not Okuma manufacture reels for Shimano or not, I've just sent emails to both h'quarters so will hopefully be able to post an answer from the horse mouth.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I have a Shimano rod, I also have a Shakespeare rod, the blanks of which are interchanegeable. Ditto with an ABU and a Shakespeare rod. Draw your own conclusion.

It is not uncommon for a parent company to own two, or more brands. You buy an Okuma instead of a Shimano, the common parent company still achieves a sale!

I think we might all be very surprised if we actually knew who produced what and for whome.

This thread is a joke.

Okuma and Shimano in the same sentence. Get reel :D

Okuma make some nice reels, Shimano make great ones.

Anyone who has used a Shimano, would not use an okuma ever again.

To compare the Shimano XTE10000 with the Okuma Interceptor is a laugh.

The Shimano Longcast is far far superior to anything Okuma could even think about, let alone make.

Svendson Sport have nothing to do with Shimano, Okuma are a Japanese company that was sold to a Swedish firm...svendson sport. Which have absolutely nothing to do with Shimano.

This thread is hilarious. Line coiling off a spool is down to the line, not the reel.

And I defy anyone to find a reel with a better clutch than the two shimano models mentioned earlier. Even Daiwa aren't in the same class, although the Tournament reels come close with their drag being top notch.

Dynadrag or 8000 GTE...again, i'm literally giggling.

woodzzz, glad you found it hilarious we all need a good laugh now & then :D

Just had the first email back from a lady called Louise Clayton at Shimano uk.

This was her reply...

quote:

All Shimano reels are manufactured by Shimano and we do not have any links

with Okuma. We have heard several similar rumours, all of which are

untrue.

quote:

No surprise really, but nice to have it from the horses mouth!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Woodzzz

Why do you find it amusing? I agree I much prefer Shimano reels to anything else but the Idea behind the thread is sound.A lot of expensive 'quality'rods come from the same far eastern factories as a lot of 'cheap and cheerful' rods and are probably on the same blanks and sold at source for the same price.

This is nothing new.

We seem to have as many "Urban Legends" in Angling, as the rest of the World has. :D:D

dogfish, woodzzz was talking about reels, not rods.

I agree with him 100%, having experienced both brands.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

quote:

Originally posted by Woodzzz: This thread is a joke.

Okuma make some nice reels, Shimano make great ones.

Anyone who has used a Shimano, would not use an okuma ever again.

The Shimano Longcast is far far superior to anything Okuma could even think about, let alone make.

Dynadrag or 8000 GTE...again, i'm literally giggling.

Okuma make reels that far exceed the price of anything Shimano have ever knocked up so lets not make out like they can't do it. Like I said..we get all the bottom end stuff. Shimano longcast..big deal. Okuma make reels costing several hundred pounds for Marlin/Tuna/Shark fishing so clearly they can do it.

I have used Shimano reels..nice but I still use Okumas.

Comparing a low-end Okuma Dynadrag to a top notch Shimano is just acting like bloody wean. At least compare 2 reels in the same price bracket.

"My mansion is better than your council house"

Well.....obviously .

[ 08. September 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...