'Popping' Seed Cases

Paul_D

I went fishing today on a stretch of river neither I or my mate had fished before, nor it seems, has anyone else this year as it really was sliding down the banks through the undergrowth and hoping the water at the bottom wasn't too deep stuff. Whilst trying to battle my way through early on this morning I got quite a start when the abundant plantlife around started 'firing' seeds vigourously at me when I disturbed them. They were some sort of Orchid by the looks (I'll get the books out later). I've never noticed them doing this before although the plant is very common. Did we just catch them on the right week i.e. ripened? It really was amazing stuff.

Paul

Paul I also ran into them yesterday while walking the bank of River Ure. You beat me to the post. They are quite amazing. Caught some nice Chub on a gold spinner. They were hitting less than a second after it would hit the water. When I remember what my picture posting password is I'll post them.

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Just been through my books and came up with the same conclusion as you boys before seeing your posts. Himalayan Balsam (Impatatiens glandulifera) indeed. Fascinating, and a day I'll not forget. Cheers.

Paul

Jeff,

Where were you fishing on the Ure? I was actually fishing the Aire at Cononley, very, very nice and unspoiled as I said (Bradford City water). We were going to walk to the bottom limit and fish upstream but came across a huge Bull and I wasn't going any further. Kev tells me that you don't have to worry about the brown ones, it's the black or black and white ones that are trouble... :rolleyes: Turns out afterwards, after we'd fished a while, that there were actually two mature Bulls in the field and, yes, number two was a Black one. Thankfully, they were both peacefull. Never seen two Bulls in the same field together before though.... :)

Paul

... there were actually two mature Bulls in the field and, yes, number two was a Black one. Thankfully, they were both peacefull. Never seen two Bulls in the same field together before though...

If they were both mature animals I'd bet that one of them had been de-bulled at some point.

And I don't think I'd place much stock in a brown bull being a peace loving critter. They may be but you only need to happen on one who doesn't know that.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Paul,

I was fishing the stretch of the Ure between the Sharow roundabout and Hewick Bridge. The river is a short walk from my house and is very shallow at the moment. The lowest I've seen it so far. It's also gin clear so you can see the Chub and what I think are Barbel.

I let my imagination get away from me that day. As I was looking into the water about 4 feet deep I saw what I thought was a human skull. Thank God it was only a bag of rubbish but still had me going for a moment.

One day last spring, I found myself at the Bridging site in Bishop Monkton. (Big pike there)Mostly sheep in the pasture there but on one occasion I found myself in the same situation as you. Bulls or in this case very large cows. I walked through them but they were more intimdating than curious of me so I had to leave. Well I ended up jumping the fence :D I think Newts advice is right. Watch out for all of them :D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Newt, no they were both fully entire Bulls just standing together nuzzling each other, that was what was so strange about it. I was a little nervous about passing them as all the cattle in the fields were obviously not too used to seeing people walking through the fields. In the first field we crossed we had the whole herd of 50 or so Cows and Heifers galloping away although we were never very close to them. I was just a little concerned that this would agitate the Bulls but, as I said, they both just stood and watched us. My mate suggested that they probably were older animals and therefore not as 'keen'. What do I know?

[ 08. September 2003, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Paul_D ]

Paul