Sea Anglers Take a Stand

Bob Shotter

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the government do a survey (a very expensive survey at that) and lets say 90% of the anglers that are approached say that they have been advised, or have decided themselves not to take part or give any information towards this survey. In other words, bugger off because we are quite capable of looking after our own affairs.

So what do you think the government response will be?

Flapper.

This is on the front page of whitby charter skippers website have a look that poor man who went all last winter off the peir for one cod he must be shaking his head thinking have this lot at defra gone mad unfortunatly i wont say here if approached by defra but it might make them think they are barking up the wrong tree.

http://www.wcsa.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

This is on the front page of whitby charter skippers website have a look that poor man who went all last winter off the peir for one cod he must be shaking his head thinking have this lot at defra gone mad unfortunatly i wont say here if approached by defra but it might make them think they are barking up the wrong tree.

http://www.wcsa.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/

paul.

Well I can sympathies with your Whitby angler Paul But I am afraid to say that I don’t think that Defra for one minute are going to step back because we as anglers think that they are barking up the wrong tree. In fact the more we try and hide (because by saying nothing) that is what they will think we are doing and by hiding they are going to put it across that we have something to hide. Therefore we have given them the excuse to introduce legislation to enforce so that they find out what they want to know.

Defra then will be happy, the government will be happy (or at least the treasury and the bureaucrats) Brussels will be happy and you wont have a chance to say anything then. So I suppose, saying nothing now, means you can only say nothing later.

Flapper.

Hi Paul and Flapper For starters this has nothing to do with anyone hiding the fact is our government are bound to supply info to the EU under the data collection frame work and failure will result in fines. So yes DEFRA will go ahead regardless. If you take the trouble to investigate the EU DCF then you will quickly realise that it is nothing more than a tool to gather information on which to base management.

The thing is while the government are duty bound to give the info we as anglers are not so to try and sell the idea HMG thought it might be an idea to gather a bit more info and tell anglers that with the info then anglers will have some credibility when negotiating. First of all what have we to negotiate we are and always have been an unregulated group, furthermore we have been here before, because back in 2004 there was the Drew report following which we were given lots of promises none of which have been delivered.

Presently RSA shore anglers are being told that there are no plans to regulate them indeed control of shore angling will remain covered by the UK government and its IFCAs. The same cannot be said of our private boats and Charter boats, moves are already in place to have all private boats registered and then like the charter boats that already have to be registered then they fall under the CFP that failed EU policy.

Now take a look at not just that poor angler fishing the breakwater or beach at Whitby but the charter fleet in the port who are dependent on Cod, should the EU decide as is most likely a quota should be given which will have to come from the already short changed inshore under tens and then that charter fleet is in real trouble.

By saying no to the info giving and signing the petition then we will have a record on a government site that will show both the strength of opposition but can also be used to back up the argument that this data collection is flawed and any regulation can then be fought against.

So please ‘Defend Sea Angling and Tell Then Nothing’ and show your objection by signing the petition.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Hi Paul and Flapper For starters this has nothing to do with anyone hiding the fact is our government are bound to supply info to the EU under the data collection frame work and failure will result in fines. So yes DEFRA will go ahead regardless. If you take the trouble to investigate the EU DCF then you will quickly realise that it is nothing more than a tool to gather information on which to base management.

The thing is while the government are duty bound to give the info we as anglers are not so to try and sell the idea HMG thought it might be an idea to gather a bit more info and tell anglers that with the info then anglers will have some credibility when negotiating. First of all what have we to negotiate we are and always have been an unregulated group, furthermore we have been here before, because back in 2004 there was the Drew report following which we were given lots of promises none of which have been delivered.

Presently RSA shore anglers are being told that there are no plans to regulate them indeed control of shore angling will remain covered by the UK government and its IFCAs. The same cannot be said of our private boats and Charter boats, moves are already in place to have all private boats registered and then like the charter boats that already have to be registered then they fall under the CFP that failed EU policy.

Now take a look at not just that poor angler fishing the breakwater or beach at Whitby but the charter fleet in the port who are dependent on Cod, should the EU decide as is most likely a quota should be given which will have to come from the already short changed inshore under tens and then that charter fleet is in real trouble.

By saying no to the info giving and signing the petition then we will have a record on a government site that will show both the strength of opposition but can also be used to back up the argument that this data collection is flawed and any regulation can then be fought against.

So please ‘Defend Sea Angling and Tell Then Nothing’ and show your objection by signing the petition.

Hi deene, O very good points and I can certainly see where you’re coming from. With the limited resources that the authorities have to collect this data, what sort of percentage do you think they would bee looking for in the first place to make this a credible survey? Let’s say (for an example) we have a target of 1000000 anglers who are eligible to answer questions in this survey. Ok let’s say that the authority’s realistic figure would be 10% of that number. 10% of the eligible number refuses to take part. 10% of the eligible number signs the petition. I think that it’s going to be very difficult to try and use numbers when one of the first questions I would imagine would be to find out how many recreational sea anglers there are. For instance if you get a petition of 100000 names saying they are against change for sea anglers from an estimated 1000000 anglers the government are going to say that 100000 are against but 900000 didn’t sign so therefore we can only suggest that they where in favour. If you have accountability then surely you can use those accountable numbers in your favour when trying to fight any changes to our hobby.?

I whish you well deene I honestly do and I admire your stance on what you believe in. I am only trying to look at things from a realistic point of view.

all the best Flapper.

All,

I have to ask what will be a stupid question. Never-the-less are "anglers" in the context sporting anglers using charters and personal craft or are "anglers" commercial operators harvesting fish?

Phone

All,

I have to ask what will be a stupid question. Never-the-less are "anglers" in the context sporting anglers using charters and personal craft or are "anglers" commercial operators harvesting fish?

Phone

Phone

I would say that to be a doing anything “commercial” you would first have to be registered to be commercial. I would say (and I believe that there are commercial fishermen who use angling techniques to catch there fish) to Be able to sell that fish for commercial gain they would have to be registered fishermen.

Flapper.

Looks like anglers want to stay unaccountable for what they collectively catch and stand aloof of any conservation measures, problem is the powers to be know that they cant implement the marine bill and mpa's and ntz's without including all stakeholders and that includes sea anglers, either way anglers will get bag limits or no take zones depending how cooperative anglers are over supplying information regarding catch returns, after all, it is part of good fisheries management practise, and in any event the EU have asked for it, welcome to the world of European and national brueaucracy, you have now touched down, welcome to the club lol lol lol