Spiderwire

Jeff S

Hi All,

I've got a Diawa openfaced reel. 3500 series I think. It holds just short of 300yds of 30 lb line. I've got 30 lb spiderwire on it at the moment. The line isn't all that old maybe 6 months. The problem is after a few sessions the line slips as if the tensioner for the drag was turned all the way off. The only way I have found to remedy this is to strip all the line off and wind it back on tight. Plays hell when you try to reel in a fish and it won't wind.

Has anyone had similiar problems with any kind of braid? I haven't used mono in 5 or 6 years but I've never had any issues with it. Might be time to switch back?? Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

You need to tie a couple of feet of mono onto the spool first then tie the braid to this mate! What is hapenning is that due to the braid having no stretch it does not grip the spool.The stretch in the mon does! A common mistake.Ive had a lot of top anglers bring their reels to me and tell me the drags are broke because of this so you are in good company!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If you can't back up with mono, you can put a few layers of insulating tape round the spool. This allows the braid to "bite" into something.

Once the braid is tight enough to grip the spool, tie the end of the line to a tree or a fence post and walk all the line out. Now walk back to the post/tree and wind the line back on under tension.

Since you won't ever cast to the end of the braid, the line will stay put.

P.A.A.S.gif

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I had thought of spraying on an adhesive but then with the environmental impact backing seems the better choice.

I doubt it matters much since I'll never run out that much line so I 'm going to use 10lb mono as the backing. The diameter of the line is about the same.

Such an easy fix but don't tell my wife. I see a new rod soon... :D:D

Cheers

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

100% correct to all above entries!!! A single piece of tape around the spool before making the initial tie will allow the Spiderwire to synch down on it without cutting. This will protect the spool and prevent the line spinning under tension.

:)

HOPPY