Ultralite Lure Fishing Outfit.

Paul_D

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

DG, I've read a lot of conflicting advice over the years about the theory of ringing but none has differentiated between various types of rods. However, as I mentioned earlier, there may be differences. One important point I was making though is that many of these theories are just that, and have not been tested where it matters - in the field. I'd therefore be interested to hear the results of any other field tests.

As far as the point about tip heavy rods, I've already expressed my views earlier in this thread and therefore feel no need to repeat them. However, to clear up any misunderstanding, the reason I prefer rods that are slightly tip heavy isn't to load the tip for casting. I agree with you that if the lure is too light to load the rod you're better off with a lighter rod in the first place.

Thanks for that, Steve.

Most pukka lure-rod companies do carry-out extensive on-the-bank and on-the-boat practical tests but of course they don't always make the results public, as I'm sure their competitors would be interested, nevermind the likes of you and I!

That said, I thought that Burt's hint & tips were some very good (and free) pointers to good lure-rod design. Obviously the composites, tapes and mandrel design and taper etc is the key starting-point though.

I haven't carp-fished for years and when I did I used a Vic Gibson rod that had a massive butt ring miles from the reel, and very few other rings. It did cast miles but I'm not sure about much else.

I have also fished with lure-rods with more, smaller rings, and some with fewer larger rings, on the same or vey similar blank. What I'd like is the larger, fewer ringed versions but without the weight of the rings themselves. You can't win can you?

DG

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off thread but not off thread. Steve mentioned that Watto is famous for his poaching activities. What poaching? He fishes the Norfolk Broads which are ALL tidal. The Magna Carta allows the fishing of tidal waters in England. Watto is only practicing that right. There are some people who refute the evidence of tides on the Broads. I'm very much with John on this issue.