Gudgeon---They're back!

From 1995 I and many of my friends have never seen or caught a Gudgeon.

The river trent, below East Stoke, which we fish[ed] frequently, used to be filled to bursting with the little blighters. Then an alleged pollution incident in 1994/1995 at East Stoke in Nottinghamshire seem to cause the decline and eventual disappearance of this fish, alongwith the Bleak and the Tommy Rough.

This year, some 16 years later, I have caught 4 Gudgeon, 8 Tommy Rough and a few Bleak from the Fossedyke Canal in Lincolnshire, which feeds off the River Trent. This could mean that this species is finally returning to retake its rightful place.

Anyone else caught a Gudgeon on the Trent or river linked to the Trent this year?

I am hoping that they will make a strong comeback.

Funny youu should bring up this topic, I was thinking of doing a survey. I have been asking local fisherman, on the Trent in Burton, and no one has reported catching them.

I know most fisherman dont want to catch them but that doesn't seem a good reason to not be interested in their possible decline.

Over the last two seasons my total catch has been 3. None of these have had the colouring associated with mature males.

Wouls d be interested in everyone elses catch reports.

Funny youu should bring up this topic, I was thinking of doing a survey. I have been asking local fisherman, on the Trent in Burton, and no one has reported catching them.

I know most fisherman dont want to catch them but that doesn't seem a good reason to not be interested in their possible decline.

Over the last two seasons my total catch has been 3. None of these have had the colouring associated with mature males.

Wouls d be interested in everyone elses catch reports.

My old fishery at Hoar Park Nr Nuneaton is full of them, some crackers to! I used to love having a couple of hours in the eveining gudgeon bashing.

The ones I have caught this year are very small.To me they are about 1/3rd the size of a fully grown adult.

We treated them as if they were made of glass. Maybe the EA restocked?

A lot of Anglers forget that species like the Gudgeon or Tommy Rough, because they are bottom feeders, are vital to the good health of any river. In numbers they keep the bottom clean and free of rubbish.

I do hope that they will return to our area soon...

I have seen match anglers win a match because of a few last mintue Gudgeon.

@twochay-------is it possible for you to chuck a few our way...lol... ;);)

Again it is not simply the fate of the Gudgeon that concerned me but after the alleged pollution incident my friends and I saw a steep decline in species caught/numbers.

Edited by Now there's a right un.

The ones I have caught this year are very small.To me they are about 1/3rd the size of a fully grown adult.

We treated them as if they were made of glass. Maybe the EA restocked?

A lot of Anglers forget that species like the Gudgeon or Tommy Rough, because they are bottom feeders, are vital to the good health of any river. In numbers they keep the bottom clean and free of rubbish.

I do hope that they will return to our area soon...

I have seen match anglers win a match because of a few last mintue Gudgeon.

@twochay-------is it possible for you to chuck a few our way...lol... ;);)

Again it is not simply the fate of the Gudgeon that concerned me but after the alleged pollution incident my friends and I saw a steep decline in species caught/numbers.

You would be welcome to some if I still had the place.

if anyone is stupid enough to start transfering fish from still waters to rivers or vice versa intentionally, then you deserve all you get :)

Some people amaze me...did you not read further that the guy does not own the water? It was not a statement of intent.

@ J_s ..............is that the little river that runs past Bulwell market by the Kids park at the Tram/Train stop?

If the answer is yes I knew there were Roach and Bullheads but never thought it would hold Gudgeon.

Sean,

The devil knows "I" would never stir the pot. But, a rhetorical question occurs to me. How do you fish "live bait" in the UK? It can't be fish (minnows)? You can't catch it in one water and use it in another?

Phone

The north clifton stretch of the river trent produced 27 Gudgeon this weekend and a few Tommy Rough... :clap2::clap2::clap2:

The Laughterton stretch of the river Trent recorded its first 5lb Chub in 9 years.

Also Chublings were caught in greater numbers than ever before.

All looks good.

@ Phone----in many UK waters live baiting is now banned for the reason of preventing disease transfer.

I know that my club waters have banned it entirely and check all the pike anglers they approach.