Gudgeon---They're back!

@ Phone----in many UK waters live baiting is now banned for the reason of preventing disease transfer.

I know that my club waters have banned it entirely and check all the pike anglers they approach.

And what a load of old bollo that is!

Just as daft as the national (EA) rules on the transfer of live fish for use as bait.

I'm afraid Phone that we live in a country where facts are never allowed to stop our powers introducing rules/laws. Or idiots blindly following them (in the belief that they are based on facts!)

Its a long long story but if we ever meet up I will gladly explain it to you.

• Like 1

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

And what a load of old bollo that is!

Just as daft as the national (EA) rules on the transfer of live fish for use as bait.

I'm afraid Phone that we live in a country where facts are never allowed to stop our powers introducing rules/laws. Or idiots blindly following them (in the belief that they are based on facts!)

Its a long long story but if we ever meet up I will gladly explain it to you.

However daft the rule or idiotic the so called idiots are enforcing them we have so far removed from our waters 7 anglers using pet shop stock fish as livebait. Don't know about you but I have seen some petshops that have very poor quality fish.

One guy had a net with 15 small Carp in which he had purchased from a local petshop. 2 of those carp had early stage fin rot.

However daft the rule or idiotic the so called idiots are enforcing them we have so far removed from our waters 7 anglers using pet shop stock fish as livebait. Don't know about you but I have seen some petshops that have very poor quality fish.

One guy had a net with 15 small Carp in which he had purchased from a local petshop. 2 of those carp had early stage fin rot.

And that's exactly why these rules were originally brought in by the EA ie to try and control the ornamental trade and not stop anglers from live baiting.There is a big DIFFERENCE.

Totally agree with what you say about the use of ornamentals for live bait but I'm afraid the whole issue is a lot lot more complicated than just this.I felt your reply might confuse Phone as to the situation here in the UK.

What you see and do at club level is not the issue here or what I was commenting on..

• Like 1

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

@ J_s ..............is that the little river that runs past Bulwell market by the Kids park at the Tram/Train stop?

If the answer is yes I knew there were Roach and Bullheads but never thought it would hold Gudgeon.

No , further up towards Hucknall. It's a stretch controlled up Hucknall Anglers club.

James

All,

Someone give me a "beginners" lesson on HOW TO catch a Gudgeon. Never in all my "put togethers" have I intentionally tried to catch a minnow that small on a rod and reel. Is the equipment equally small? I.e. size 32 hooks with 2oz fish line or something?

We have maybe a couple hundred sub-species in the minnow family and many of them are that small - - - - but geezzzus? Many are on the Federally endangered species list. I'm not sure if you could even get away with using gear that "targeted" fish that size(?).

What do you suppose their C&R survival rate is - pretty good?

Phone

All,

Someone give me a "beginners" lesson on HOW TO catch a Gudgeon. Never in all my "put togethers" have I intentionally tried to catch a minnow that small on a rod and reel. Is the equipment equally small? I.e. size 32 hooks with 2oz fish line or something?

We have maybe a couple hundred sub-species in the minnow family and many of them are that small - - - - but geezzzus? Many are on the Federally endangered species list. I'm not sure if you could even get away with using gear that "targeted" fish that size(?).

What do you suppose their C&R survival rate is - pretty good?

Phone

We do not go out specifically for the Gudgeon. However, this one was caught on a size 18 hook with a double maggot.

Eyes bigger than his belly, lol.

20 years ago these were everywhere in the river trent and if you didn't get at least a 100 a day something was wrong.

However, from 1995 they vanished. It was only this year that I again caught a Gudgeon.

The Gudgeon won many a match for an angler.

Catching Gudgeon again is like finding an old friend who has been missing for years.

Sounds kinda weird I know but for me it is the truth.

Gudgeon (Goujon) are very popular in France.

They dip them in flour and fry them ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/