Ferox trout

Vagabond

Not quite sure where this topic should go - fly fishing it ain't. Do we need a "Pred thread" ?

Anyway, after catching some skate last month

we headed for the NW Highlands, and met up with PHT (new poster) and spent three days out in his boat.

Here are some piccys

1/ Our kind of country! Cluaniesign.jpg

2/ First day. A plump and handsome six pounder from Loch Garry ( that's the FISH I'm talking about :D:D )

Lovely golden sheen and a relatively small head. Fought like the clappers, jumping clear of the water a few times.

Feroxgarry6.jpg

3/ Second day. A lean and mean 5 lb beast from Loch Quoich that Norma caught. It was slightly longer than my Garry fish, but was a pound lighter. A relatively large head and mouth, and just look at the huge area of its rear engine! Feroxquoich5.jpg

4/ Third day. A little brighter after the hail and sleet we endured over the first two days. Note the snow still on the mountain. Appearances can be deceptive - this dark fish does not look much smaller than the previous two, but at two-and-a-half pounds was only half their weight.

Feroxquoich2.jpg

Fantastic fishing for true wild trout in superlative wild surroundings.

The more I get into ferox the more interesting I find them. Because of a succession of interglacial invasions, the "family history" of highland salmonids is very complex - and by now y'all know I am a sucker for that sort of challenge :rolleyes:

[ 11. June 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on yer Vagabond, it all sounded idyllic.

Paul

Vagabond:

Not quite sure where this topic should go - fly fishing it ain't. Do we need a "Pred thread" ?

Well fly fishing it aint, and it aint coarse fishing either, but it is MY kinda fishing in MY kinda terrain (God's own true land).

Thanks for the post. Most interesting, and that Loch Quoich fish DOES have HUGE tail

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Great fish. And beautiful country.

The sign is probably useless though. Any idiot who doesn't belong in that sort of country will usually be too stupid to pay attention to a warning.

OTOH, that sort of idiocy would be self-limiting as long as they were simply allowed to make it on their own or not make it at all.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

The sign is probably useless though.  Any idiot who doesn't belong in that sort of country will usually be too stupid to pay attention to a warning.

True, but at least they can't say that 'nobody told them so'. The rescue teams still have to go and pull a dozen or so of them off the mountains every year.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Koi - feel free to bash (with words only though) rainbow trout to your hearts content. I spent some time years ago fishing a river for wild brown trout but have never been hear the others.

And I have to say I get the same feeling when I see those UK carp with the huge bellies. I like mine sleeker.

[ 12. June 2003, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President