Ferox trout

Vagabond

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt:

And I have to say I get the same feeling when I see those UK carp with the huge bellies.  I like mine sleeker.

Amen to that!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Those ferox trout really look to be the business, and, as you and others have remarked, that tail is huge!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Koi Carp:

Thats what trout should be like. Not these quick growing rainbows! (sorry Newt   :P   )

Nice fish Vagabong!

Believe me Koi, as a yank, you don't bother me with that comment at all. Those fat, soft, genetic mutant bows' are pale shadows of their wild progenitors...

However, I would encourage you to fish WILD rainbows if you ever get the chance...or better yet, steelhead, the rainbow taken to it's ultimate level.

Those Ferox are stunners, sure nuff. Anyone know how closely related to browns they are? We have some lake run browns here(very large, some hit 30 lbs), that look very much like that.

Nightwing:

Those Ferox are stunners, sure nuff. Anyone know how closely related to browns they are? We have some lake run browns here(very large, some hit 30 lbs), that look very much like that.

I think that these days all brown trout and sea trout are considered to be Salmo trutta trutta or Salmo trutta fario because DNA testing has shown that they are all the same species despite having different colours, sizes, habitats etc, In a similar way that all domestic dogs, from a Great Dane to a Pekinese are Canis domesticus.

Maybe Vagabond can shed some light on this as I see from his profile that he has an interest in ichthyology and is a retired oceanographer?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

corydoras:

corydoras:

I think that these days all brown trout and sea trout are considered to be Salmo trutta trutta or Salmo trutta fario because DNA testing has shown that they are all the same species despite having different colours, sizes, habitats etc, In a similar way that all domestic dogs, from a Great Dane to a Pekinese are Canis domesticus.

Maybe Vagabond can shed some light on this as I see from his profile that he has an interest in ichthyology and is a retired oceanographer?

I take it then that ferox trout are a strain of brown trout? Rather like the steelhead/rainbow relationship.