More pole questions

Guest Scott

Guest Scott

Is there some sort of guide when it comes to elasticating a pole?

i.e. how many sections I put the elastic through, strength of mainline/hooklength to match the elastic.

I have only just picked up a pole for the 1st time in about 5 years, back then everyone seemed to use either a No 3 or 5 elastic, now from what I have read its 8 for roach, 10 for bream and up to 20 for carp, can anyone explain this to me,

Scott.

Guest big tinca

A number 8 elastic for roach how big are the roach you been catching!

Personally i would'nt use anything higher than a number 6 for roach maybe an 6-8 for bream and a 12 plus for carp.

Your best bet is to look through some old fishing mags and try and find some articles on pole elastics or ust general pole fishing which might become useful.

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest Scott

Thanks Tinca, the only mags I have are this months, its the 1st time I have used my pole for about 5 years and I never bothered keeping up with whats new, when I look at this months mags there seems to be a whole new world of pole equipment.

Scott.

Guest phil dean

the elastic has gone up cos some of us keep getting smashed. (not by roach however, I go with tinc for that, lighter if necessary).

If you're not comfortable that the elastic is light enough for one species but may be too much for others (ie fishing for bream chance of carp), you may wish to combine two elastics at once. They are attached in series, the attachments can be bought in most shops, the heavier elastic say a number 12, being nearer the tip than the lighter, a number 6, not the other way round. Try to stick to the same size ratios though for this to work well...ie. 6 at the tip and 3 at the butt, 10 at the tip and twenty at the butt etc.

i'm sure poledark will tell me this is wrong but heh, i just hook the fish, who needs to land any????? biggrin.gif oh sorry, i should have mentioned how rubbish i am.

Guest darrell.cook

Scott,as a guide,small elastics such as no. 1 and 2 should only run through one section.

Elastics 3 to 8 through two sections and bigger elastics through three sections.

This is a guide based on the assumption you are using top threes as opposed to power top twos which tend to be as lomg as standard top threes.(Hope that makes sense).

No 4 is suited to roach,6 to 8 tench,bream,etc. and 8 to 10 bigger tench,carp etc. This is a rough guide,but often elastic strengths are stepped up if there are snags about etc.On my local canal I sometimes fish a 14 elastic if I'm after tench close to the reeds.(The tench run from 1lb to 4lb)

As you will see there is no simple answer.One other tip,attach your elastic to your bung with a large loop,this has the effect of doubling the strength and preventing the elastic bottoming out should a large unexpected fish come along.

Guest matt_shaw

Thats a tough question there scott. I fish pole exclusivly, and in regards to elastic, its a case of trial and error. Elatics across manufacturers vary in diameter. For example a Preson Innovations No.3 is thicker in diameter than a Vespe No.3. This effects the action and stretch of the elastic, but be it only slightly. Don't worry about that, its not important.

However i've landed 2lb bream and 2lb perch on No.3 elastic through the No.1 section of my pole (or the tip to others) Whats more important is balancing the rig, to the elastic. light elatics = light line, as a general rule. You want the line to break before the elastic.

Just experiment, thats my best advice tongue.gif

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/

Guest teepee

hi scott. good question this one,you will find every angler`s got his own opinion of what to use but here`s a couple of tips.as regards to line size etc. when you go to your tackle shop have a look on the back of the packet the elastic is in they give you a recomended line b/s. or diameter to size of elastic.also check out the tennioner bungs with these you can tighten or slacken the elastic when your fishing so you can get one elastic to cope with different sizes of fish, fishings not changed in last 5years stick to your 3/5 for general roach/skimmer fishing 6/8 bream/tench 10&above for carp.

------------------

teepee

Guest Scott

Thanks everyone,I now have a few ideas to try. I had been using a size 6 and had a few carp & bream to 2lb then something took off pulled all my elastic out, snapped my line and as the pole sprung back the butt knocked my flask over and broke it.

Scott.

Guest big tinca

Gutted!

Never mind im still learning!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest Dave Hill

Scott,

One other point to bear in mind is that you can 'alter' the way an elastic works by adjusting the tension of the elastic. For example, I sometimes use a 14-16 elastic set soft for carp, but if I am fishing against a snag I would tighten the elastic up to allow me to hit the bite and pull the fish away from the snag.

As TeePee mentioned, there are bungs available now that allows the tension to be adjusted on the fly...