I`m Bloody Freezing!! and what about at night?

craynerd

neoprene socks are a good buy if you dont want to buy moon boots. Look for good insulation esp at night, the cold tends to come up so agood close cell camping mat is cheap cut it in 2 put it under your feet and bum! 3 or 4 layers are better than one, fleece cotton fleece sweatshirt are good under gaments take more than you need you can leave it in the car. The main problem with thermal suits is they are bulky and dont release sweat, that gets cold, a good thermal hat works wonders, the coldest time is between 3.30 and 5 take some hot soup totake when your realy cold and NO alchohol!!! I used to spend the winter oo my boat on loch lomond and never got realy cold despite ice forming in the cuddy.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loads of good advice so far but this is what I do in the colder months. I wear three layers. First layer is a Musto long sleeved thermal vest, Musto long johns and thin insulated walking socks. Next layer is a Musto long sleeve thermal sweater, cotton trousers, nephrene socks and neophrene boots. Top layer is a breathable bib and brace and short breathable fly fishing jacket. Depending on whether the day warms up or not you can take off bits to suit the weather. One piece suits are not very flexible and unless they are a couple of sizes too big...not very comfortable. Buy clothes that do the job. ie dont just buy a sweater, buy a thermal sweater.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I would avoid cotton it holds moisture in the fabric; modern polyester fleeces wick moisture away rather than trap it.

If you can afford a breathable outer on your thermal suit, this stops the build up of moisture in the garment and you would feel more comfortable when you are moving around.

The non breathable garments are usually ok if you are keeping still and not moving around too much.

The ideal solution is to have a base layer consisting of thermal underwear, a mid layer of a fleece jacket and bottoms and a shell layer of a thermal wind and waterproof garment.

A hat should be worn as you loose around 30% of your body heat through your head, gloves neoprene or similar help but you could always keep your hands in your pockets.

And footwear should be the thermal type boots or winter grade walking boots.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

MrMatthew:

I was out Sat afternoon, Snow, Hail, Gale force winds, tackle flying everywhere....

When me and Jonahs were out on Wednesday we saw all 4 seasons, Snow, Sleet, Rain, Sun, Wind, Calm it was crazy.

Anyway, thanks guys, whats up with doing an all nighter, why do you say """be careful if thinking of doing a night this time of year can be dangerous. cheers big al """" ???

I will have a look whats on offer and take all you adive,

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Well I'm actually a bit of wimp so I tend not to go out when it's too cold. However, one of the best things I've found is to use handwarmers such as these:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3879606262&rd=1

They're exactly the ones I use and they work a treat. (Btw I have nothing to do with that auction!) You just squeeze them for a bit and they warm up. Magic! Just stick one in each pocket.

These are great too. A bit 'old fashioned' but, again, they do help:

http://www.troutfishing.co.uk/ishop/243/

As far as coats/jackets go. The warmest thing I've worn is a "Buffalo" jacket. My brother wore one to the Arctic! They're not the cheapest but like everything you can get cheaper ones and more expensive ones.

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/

I've never worn that particular one but mine (i.e. my brother's) is one of the cheaper ones on the market and not a 'brand' name. Really good though.

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

I cannot recommend the Nash Zero Tolerance thermal under suit. It maybe cheap but it shows it, too.

The top is hooded, but the press studs aren't aligned. It pills badly, and the hems unravel easily. It is allegedly breathable, but not adequately so. The leggings are OK. They are warm - that's their job. But I'm not impressed.

Another triumph of advertising over product.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

What would u recommend then Allan ?

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

craynerd:

What would u recommend then Allan ?

The Sundridge thermal suit my son pinched from me!

It was more effective than the nash by a distance, but more expensive. The main point I was making was not to waste your money on the Zero Tolerance suit

[ 07. March 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

As mentioned multiple layers is the answer and as you lose the greatest percentage of body heat from your head a wooly hat is a must!

And before Wordbender starts taking the **** out of my green "Benny" hat I know when it gets cold all you bivvy boys just reach over from your bed chairs and turn the thermostat up on your Nash centeral heating systems!

[ 07. March 2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!