Day trip to Throop

jaypeegolf

I've managed to wangle a day trip to Royalty/Throop (hopefully) whilst on a family trip to Bournemouth for a christening and am looking for a few pointers please.

Next Saturday is the day in question and any tips and hints for trotting for chub would be welcome. (Centre pin and match rod)

Do I bring some bait, bread, from home, or should I just stock up at Davis Tackle on the Saturday with maggots?? or something different?

Is there any water on the river at the moment? We have had some rain since the last report I read.

(I will be taking my waders too if that should influence anyones suggestions!)

Is it worth bringing a feeder rod too?

Thanks for any help guys

JP

Edited by jaypeegolf

Fished it a couple of times lately for roach. Level (as at yesterday) is normal summer level which is better than it has been earlier in the summer. It is currently very weedy and good trotting swims hard to find. I've tried bread, corn and tares for the roach and found the dace prolific and a nuisance but had one or two nice roach (seen some better ones), a couple of small bream and one decent chub on bread (4-12). I think a maggot approach will see you get a lot of dace, bleak and chublets. Hemp and caster, trotted, may work for the chub if you can find them, as may floatfished pellet. A centrepin may be a handicap as light floats cast long distances in shallow swims preclude the heavier rigs more suited to the pin. May be worth travelling light, spending time reccying the swims and being prepared to move until you find the chub rather than flogging one swim all day.

I had a 14lb 2oz barbel on a Campbells meatball some years ago. Not been there for a while but with the amount of rain were are having not sure you will be able to wade as it's quite deep in places. Feeder rod yes, spoke to a friend who was there while I was talking to him last week and he said it's very hard at the moment and had trouble even spotting any fish.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

"A centrepin may be a handicap as light floats cast long distances in shallow swims preclude the heavier rigs more suited to the pin"

Thanks Mark,

I'm not quite sure I understand this sentance correctly?

Are you saying that I should be using lighter rigs/tackle which precludes my 'pin?

Cheers

John

Edited by jaypeegolf

"A centrepin may be a handicap as light floats cast long distances in shallow swims preclude the heavier rigs more suited to the pin"

Thanks Mark,

I'm not quite sure I understand this sentance correctly?

Are you saying that I should be using lighter rigs/tackle which precludes my 'pin?

Cheers

John

I've sent you a PM

Mark