Injury whilst fishing

stooby

Had a few hooks stuck in me over the years, but the worst "incident" was when a Moorhen took my breadcrust bait. I heaved and the bird came at me with claws outstretched and hit me in the face. One set of claws was embedded above and below my right eye and the more I tried to free one claw the more the other one went in deeper. I ended up throttling the bird before getting its claws out. Ended up in Crawley hospital, covered in blood, lucky (?) not to lose an eye. Still bear the scars 55 years later.

Oh yeah, poles and elastics can be lethal as well..................

Den

That must have been a pretty nasty experience!! I can imagine throttling it must have made it kick even more before the inevitable!.... Like you say though, it could have taken your eye, so to a degree very lucky!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first time carp fishing couldnt have gone any worse! After choosing a peg and setting up, the bulls from the field next door escaped and chased us! By the time they had been gathered in by the farmer, I was covered in bull s**t! From here, things got worse, the rain came down and my hands were froze! Inexperienced, I tried piercing a boilie, slipped and put the baiting needle down the length of my finger! The barb had caught on my tendons and wouldnt come out, I had to go to A&E (covered in muck!) to have the barb cut out before it could be removed!

Worst of all, I had blanked and had to buy my friend a new needle!

ive been quite fortunate over the years and havnt had any serious injuries while fishing. but the one that does come to mind is when i got a large thick lure treble hit the bone on the underside of my thumb knuckle luckily the treble was to big for the barb to get under the skin but because it was so thick and heavy it hurt like hell

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,

I emplore you not to downplay ANY injury. Many year ago, as a commercial fisherman, I lost a friend (co-worker) to tetanus, an infectious, often fatal disease from the most minor prick from a hook.

I guess this would be a good time to remind everyone the US Centers for Disease Control now recommends a booster every 4 FOUR years.

Phone

Nothing worse than a small cut from an open tin, a few hooks in my thumb but they were barbless so although painful not too bad, and other knocks and scrapes that i can't think off the top of my head.

The worst one though is i had a friend who once bent down to re bait and his baiting needle went straight through his kneecap, i wasn't there at the time but even thinking about it makes me cringe, a metal, barbed spike going into your kneecap! Aaaarggh :yucky:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I once 'tried out' an electric fence to see if it was turned on when fishing the River Dane. Next thing I remember was waking up on my back in the field, no idea how long I'd been knocked out for! I was lucky as I later found out (the hard way) that I had a heart problem which could have caused sudden death! :/