Who bought a Mitchell Cap from the Auction Site?

Guest Peter Waller

Guest Peter Waller

If its you, and you bought it from Peter Waller then please e-mail me at peter.r.waller@btinternet.com Thanks.

Guest OregonDave

Peter - No, I didn't buy one from you, but I still have a Garcia-Mitchell 304. When I bought it (I think the glaciers were still receeding), one of the clerks in the store said something about a "Mitchell Cap" and "line twister".

Guess I will haul it out, put on some new line, and give it a try. It was a wonder way back in the old days. The Brits were using a center-pin, and we Yanks were using the guaranteed bird-nest bait casters, with the black line. Guaranteed for 4 or 5 casts a day. Cast once, and spend the next hour or two untangling the mess. Cast the second time, and a further hour or two spent untangling the critter. Ah, to be 8 years old, with visions of Mobby Dick, hanging on the end of your 5' steel rod!

Guest Peter Waller

Hi Dave, still got my 5' steel rod, a True Temper Professional, complete with Speedlock handle, circa 1936 apparently. Little gem of a rod and, apart from the weight, as good a rod as any on the market today!

Guest poledark

Hi Dave , what the hell was that old black line called, it's so long ago I cant remember?

poledark

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by poledark:

Hi Dave , what the hell was that old black line called, it's so long ago I cant remember?

poledark

Platil! Nightmare!

Guest OregonDave

That stuff had a name? As I recall, it came on my reel, and lasted forever. I think it was some kind of braded nylon.

I still wish I had not lost the first rod of mine - 9' telescoping hollow steel rod, with a reversable handle. Guaranteed to work as a bait caster OR a fly rod! Just pull out the length you thought you needed. Of course that black line didn't do so well as fly line; come to think of it, it might have acted better as fly line than bait casting line. biggrin.gif

I pulled out my 304. Built like a tank it is. I'll bet they are still being used.

Come to think of it, a telescoping rod, that could be pulled out to whatever length conditions allow isn't all that bad an idea.

Titanium???? Variable action? Able to be used as a match rod, adjustable quiver tip, feeder, etc., etc.???? Whoa!

A pole? Telescoping down into itself, instead of taking apart?

Peter: I'm sorry for leading your post astray!

Guest Alan Roe

At the risk of giving my age away the only black line I remember was a braided line that was sold in the country under the trade name black spider.

If memory which is such a fickle thing serves me well I think it was a teryline braid....My father may still have some!!

Guest Newt

I do remember the black braid although no name comes to mind. It worked equally well as a mainline or to tether a boat. smile.gif As I remember it, you used the stuff until there was too little on the reel to function properly and then bought new. Could easily last for years.

Guest Peter Waller

The black line that I remember was a monofilament that was like high tensile spring steel. Platil made a number of lines, sorrell & black being two colours that I remember. The sorrell was pretty pliable by the standards of the day but the black . . . . . another story. I'm going back to the mid 20th centuary. Put that way it sounds one hell of a long time ago. Dave, you're welcome to lead my post astray! Darn sight more interesting. As for the Mitchell 300 series reels, they have become very desirable in the UK by retro anglers and those wanting a basic, no frills back up in their tackle box. I pick 'em up at car boot sales for next to nothing and my local dealer takes them at a price that makes us both happy!

Guest OregonDave

Peter - You are very gracious.

Retro anglers? We have a few around here too. In addition to the 304, I also have a 300A, and a 308, as well as a pair of ABU Cardinal 6 reels. The Cardinals are well thought of here. I use the modern stuff, since I cannot avoid a "deal".