Wendy T-W in Private Eye

Guest Chris Plumb

Guest Chris Plumb

Well you can rely on PE to expose humbug and hypocrisy, from the current edition.....

"Lining herself up for this year's Anthea Turner Prize for Most Annoying Publicity Stunt is the "elfin" television presenter's sister, Wendy Turner-Webster.

Animal-lover Wendy recently wrote to the Duke of Kent in his capacity as President of the Scout Association, asking him to drop the Scout's angler proficiency badge because it promotes the killing of, and cruelty to fish, and copied the letter to the national press.

The Daily Express picked the story up with an emotive article entitled:"Stop killing fish, Wendy begs Scouts". Had Ms Turner-Webster or the Daily Sexpress bothered to do a little basic research, they would have discovered that far from killing fish, the Scouts angling badge, which is sponsored by the Environment Agency, requires boys to learn how to handle fish and release them with care, and how to know who to inform if they see poaching, pollution or fish in distress.

Ms Turner-Webster was writing on behalf of an organisation called People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). While PETA strongly opposes the breeding of animals for domestic pets, and is against horse riding, Wendy Turner-Webster presents the Channel 4 programme Pet Rescue, and lists horse-riding among her hobbies."

Well done Private Eye!!

Chris (Who once had an Angling Profficiency Badge!! biggrin.gif )

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 08 June 2001).]

Guest phil hackett
Originally posted by darrell.cook:

Nice one P.E.

BTW Wendy T.W. and Anthea Turner make a great team.....Wendy T.W.A.T. biggrin.gif

Nice one Darrell!!!

Guest Fatboy

In my posts to the original 'Seen this in the Daily Express' thread, I did say I'd write to Private Eye.

I did send and e-mail to them, along with a

copy of the thread and as many references as I could lay my hands on about PETA. However, I heard nothing from them and haven't been able to lay my hands on a copy of PE for a few months.

There was, for me, a double vested interest -apart from fishing, I run a Scout Troop and that woman and her sister have always got up my nose.

I'd like to thank all of you who responded so magnificently.

In some ways it's a pity that Elton and his crew didn't get a mention, though.

Thanks again for your help,

Alan.

------------------

Guest Simon Newbould

biggrin.gif

What an excellent result....

Alan, it was an inspired idea to write to PE! Well done mate....

Simon

Guest Chris Plumb

[in some ways it's a pity that Elton and his crew didn't get a mention, though.

Ahh!! but by them not being mentioned means it reads more as independent comment NOT inspired by some 'counter pressure group'.

Chris