Minister for Rural Affairs

Guest Peter Waller

Guest Peter Waller

Did I hear right on the News re gov. reshuffle? Sounds promising for Angling if its so.

Guest trent.barbeler

Peter,

Just got back from a week away in Devon and apart from getting a call from Graham concerning the rivers being open on the 16th I have not got a clue about this rural minister thing.

Obviously, although I did try hard not to, I heared that labour got in again.

No guys and galls, Im not in favour of any of todays political parties. I was one of the 43% that stayed away.

Perhaps Peter, that labour MP who tabled the fox hunting bill would be a good choice for this so-called new job. It really does beggar belief that any goverment needs or requires such a minister in the first place and sadly reflects just how out of touch some of these domestic politicians really are.

In the real world Peter, I would like to think that rural issues and lifestyles should ultimately be left to those who have a vested interest in living, rural communities. Thats fine if government take notice of country folk through a rural minister set on to listen instead of telling country communities what they should or should not be doing. We shall see.

One thing that did leave an impression on me throughout this farcical election was a term Mrs Blair kept saying over and over;

"Be afraid, be very afraid".

Once again Peter, with an optimism remaining gaurded, we shall see.

Guest Peter Waller

Politics, like angling, is all things to all men, and women. Provided the minister is a country person then I have high hopes for this one. Bit like the SAA, its there, lets make it work and lets make it work well.

Guest Adrian

As Leon says, the new dept (under Mrs Beckett), will be called the dept of Environment and Rural Affairs. Nick Brown, the old head of Maff has been demoted.

I fear this is nothing more than window dressing, the same civil service dept under a different name.It will probably cost a small fortune in office relocation, new letter heads, motifs and mission statements, then it will be business as usual. If I was a country dweller, I would be completely underwhelmed.

Adrian

Guest Peter Waller

Re Leon's reply, spot on. As I said, whether or not we like it, its there. Lets make sure angling uses it to its best advantage. Better to be positive rather than negative over this one.