poles or the rod

Guest fish slime

Guest darrell.cook

Depends where and for what I'm fishing.

Example,the local canal for roach,rudd,tench,etc then the pole everytime.

On the other hand on a recent trip to The Viaduct fishery I put the pole away because I enjoyed catching the carp far more on the rod.

Also,trotting a float on a river has a pleasure all of it's own.

Guest matt_shaw

POLE, POLE and erm...POLE. Thats the only method i use - sad huh? I must get my rods out more, using the pole so much i've lost the skills of waggler fishing!

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/

Guest Keith

Pole or rod?

Weeelll....

my favourite way to fish is waggler and 'pin close in (I'm finally getting to grips with that Wallis casting mallarkey Alan!), but sometimes only a pole will let me fish certain swims effectivley.

So aesthetically, it's the rod: if I "have to" catch fish, it's the pole.

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

www.wacac.co.uk

Guest david platt

Hi All,

I prefer the pole most of the time,depends were & what I am Fishing for,When I was at the Viaduct Fisheries the other weekend I used the pole and had a carp rod out, like I say depends on the venue most of the time,once upon a time I would not use the pole but, I have found out that it can be more productive than a rod.

David

Guest Peter Waller

As one who has never ever used a pole, and nice to see you back Fish Slime, I have a major bias to rods. As a method poles have no appeal whatsoever. I've picked 'em up in my tackle shop . . . . . not for me! Probably my loss but there we go. But an observation that does, I think have some relevance. Just as I have a blind determination to use a rod in all circumstances, whether best suited to the task in hand or not, I believe the same can be said of pole anglers. I have sometimes rowed down a match length, on my local broad, with my fish finder on. Just outside of the range of the pole anglers will very ofton be a mass of huge fish. Big bream probably in the 5lb plus size. The big stuff following the small stuff who are quicker off the mark to the groundbait. If only just one pole angler was to ledger a big bait just outside pole range then he would clean up. Its all to easy to convince oneself that the chosen method, e.g. rod rather than pole, or vice versa, is the best method. Whats best is what works best on the day. For me its what I enjoy best, a rod, but then I'm a total ludite!

Guest paul mc

I use the pole more often than my rods on lakes but i don't have a bias towards anything in particular as i think that every occasian needs a different approach.

Regards paul mc

Guest Adrian

I use both, depending on circumstances. Whilst the presentation offered by a pole is second to none, the pole is so much more cumbersome. It can be a real relief to put it down and get the waggler rod out.

In winter, on a tough canal though, the rod stays in the bag.

Pete mentions fish keeping out of pole range, I have found that on the Thames, when the pole bites dry up, a waggler fished beyond pole range may well catch. Likewise, you cannot long -trot with one.

I suspect some anglers feel obliged to use a thier pole, to get value for money, they are so damn pricey.

Adrian