Black tench!!!!!

Guest doc_tench

Guest doc_tench

Hi

I caught the most beautiful black tench you have ever seen,it was jet black and weighed 4lb 2oz, "sods law" i had forgotten my camera and my mate had already gone.

Have you caught any un-usual coloured fish

Guest paul mc

hi doc

I have caught a complety silver ghost carp, it was a lovely looking fish but it looked like one of those plastic ornamental fish you see in the garden centres.

regards paul mc

Guest Bent Rod ?

Doc

I fish a small that produces both light Green and very dark tench, the dark tench seem to live mostly is the deeper side and fight a lot harder.

Jon

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

AHH the Tinca Tinca my favorite of all fish (as everyone on paltalk knows) biggrin.gif.

I have caught an almost pure white Tench with just a "smidgen" of a tint of green to its beautiful skin ! I have never seen a black one though (wish i'd been there)

When i was fishing with Ian cresswell he caught a tench & at first glance we both thought it was an orfe (the tench was a very pale green) one look at the eyes told us different!

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

[This message has been edited by ALAN FAWCETT (edited 09 June 2001).]

Guest vince.battams

i had a mate once who caught an orange tench in december by accident on a ondex spinner and no it was not an orfe

Guest big tinca

Hi guys.

Iknow this has'nt got anything to do with tench but in our local stretch of the canal there is an albino pike which weighs around 10lb.

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest phil hackett
Originally posted by doc_tench:

Hi

I caught the most beautiful black tench you have ever seen,it was jet black and weighed 4lb 2oz, "sods law" i had forgotten my camera and my mate had already gone.

Have you caught any un-usual coloured fish

Of the man hundreds of tench I’ve caught over the last 25 years, one particular water (now not accessible to angling) springs to mind in regards to dark/black tench.

The fish caught from this water were either very dark brown or black.

As to the possible reason to why this should be? The only explanation I can offer is that the mere was heavily silted up.

To illustrated how silted it was, in the 1960s the mere was targeted for its bream by one of the specimen groups that were around at that time. To establish the swims they needed to fish it, they had to erect some stages using scaffolding poles. It took in some swims, up to 30 ft of scaffolding poles sank in the silt, before a firm anchoring base was found.

The tench in this water clearly lived and fed all their lives in the thick black oozey silt bed, resulting I’m sure, in my own mind, in their dark colouration. The colouration probably coming about through the fish’s ability to adjusted their pigmentation in the skin under the scales. Thereby allowing them to blend in with their surroundings.

As for naturally occurring lime green tench and such like, I think they are probably genetic misfits that lack the ability to regulate their pigmentation.

Orange tench on the other hand, are an ornamental strain known as Golden Tench, bred for their colour, which is clearly visible in a pond environment. The orange colour being arrived at by selective breeding from the above genetic misfits.

Interestingly, the canal where I live had an orange tench (female) that weighed between 4 12 - 6 2 depending on what time of year you caught it. Sadly I’ve not seen it for over 2 years now, so somebody’s nicked it or its died.

Guest doc_tench

Hi

This tench was jet black and its eyes were totally black too,no hint of red at all!

I think it must have escaped from darth vaders pond!!

If i catch it again i will photo it.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU biggrin.gifeek.gif