Trout Pellets

forth and clyde fisher

im going to fish 4mm trout pellets as free offerings with red maggots on the hook and was wondering as ive never used pellets before how much should i put in its on my local canal dont want to over feed just draw them in and keep them interested thanks in advance rab

fishing20cartoon.gif

f&c,

Of course we don't know the total biomass in the canal. In general, my philosophy on new waters is "less is best". You can ramp up as the session progresses but it's hard to 'take back' what you've already put in. FYI, I've never fished a canal in England.

Again, in general, 4mm trout pellets (with average oil and protein content) take about 15 minutes to reach there maximum attratant range in distance at 72F. (not sure if this canal has current worth discussing?).

I think it is good advice world wide to be patient and confident in the beginning.

Phone

im going to fish 4mm trout pellets as free offerings with red maggots on the hook and was wondering as ive never used pellets before how much should i put in its on my local canal dont want to over feed just draw them in and keep them interested thanks in advance rab

Depends on the methods you are using, but "little and often" is always a good rule to follow. Dont forget to loosefeed maggots aswell, or you may end up making the fish pre-occupied with the pellets.

he told me what to use but never stated how he used them and hes not been online for a while hence why im asking for help here

Ah I see.

As I said for "General" canal fishing (by this I mean float fishing for what ever comes along) I wouldn't rate them at all.BUT for specifically targeting Tench or Carp then that's a different story.

For Tench or Carp I would (and have a lot on various waters both canal and others) use TP as loosed feed and fish TP Paste (made by grinding up TP and mixing into a paste with a few eggs,boillie paste style) on the hook. I say "on" the hook but in reality I use a hair rig with a bit of dry maize on it to mould the paste around. I would be using quite stout tackle for this depending on size of fish expected/weed/snags.

I would bait up an area with pellet and base the amount I put in on the amount of tench/carp I would expect to be in/pass through the swim. I would start of with not much more than a pint though. More of a bait and wait approach than a "little and often" to build up the swim slowly type thing. Initially you wont have to worry about other species really eating the pellet but as it breaks down and after its been used on the water for a time (more months than days) everything will switch on to it and you will have to allow for this when guessing amounts.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ah I see.

As I said for "General" canal fishing (by this I mean float fishing for what ever comes along) I wouldn't rate them at all.BUT for specifically targeting Tench or Carp then that's a different story.

For Tench or Carp I would (and have a lot on various waters both canal and others) use TP as loosed feed and fish TP Paste (made by grinding up TP and mixing into a paste with a few eggs,boillie paste style) on the hook. I say "on" the hook but in reality I use a hair rig with a bit of dry maize on it to mould the paste around. I would be using quite stout tackle for this depending on size of fish expected/weed/snags.

I would bait up an area with pellet and base the amount I put in on the amount of tench/carp I would expect to be in/pass through the swim. I would start of with not much more than a pint though. More of a bait and wait approach than a "little and often" to build up the swim slowly type thing. Initially you wont have to worry about other species really eating the pellet but as it breaks down and after its been used on the water for a time (more months than days) everything will switch on to it and you will have to allow for this when guessing amounts.

thanks mate appreciated

fishing20cartoon.gif