Piking with braid?

Scopex

This may seem like a silly question but why to you need such powerful B/S for braid? I am thinking of switching to braid and currently use 15lb mono. I know that barid lacks streach but surely 50 lb is very strong. I was watching matt hayes on telly the other day and he was fishing for Zander in holland and the guy he was fishing with was using 10lb BS braid and matt said that in the UK 50lb was more the norm. But this Dutch guy said that he felt you got better presentation with the 10 pound stuff. What do you more experienced lure anglers feel about this?

Yes, they was using 8 and 10Ib braid, but they was using a totally different technique to what are being discussed in this topic i.e vertical jigging in depths up to 60 feet. If vertical jigging is going to effective what so ever in such depths you need to use lines with the lowest possible diameter or else you will be fishing 50 yards away from the boat with no contact with the lure.

Personally I use 8 & 10Ib PowerPro, but only when I’m fishing for Trout using light spinning gear and lures up to max. 1/2 oz as such low diameter lines gives you significant advantages when throwing around light lures.

Under most circumstances stop looking at the breaking strain, but rather look at the diameter of the braid and compare that to the mono you usually are using.

Edited by Vidar6

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, somehow I did not see Tim's reply, which basically said the same as mine

:(:(

Anyhow, let me just point out that you can get significant length advantages using lower diameter line in conjunction with fixed spool reels, but with multipliers the distance advantage is at the most negligible.

Also, Steve has a very valid point when mentioning that a low diameter line will allow the lure to fish deeper than a thicker line.

When I first saw this threadI thought some one had raised that old horror advice from the Archie Braddock school of Piking :angry: much releaved to see it was a sensible discussion on the merits of braided mainlines and not braided hook lengths!

Lumby has allready veiwed the same opinions as me on braid,its use, and best way of selecting it so I wont bother repeating it or putting in a link to one of my articles on this.

Mark B you suprise me in that you cant see the economy side of using braid.Then again if you are loading a spool up with it no wonder! I only load on the amount I will need for any set job ie for most of my bank or boat piking (other than drfiter work of course)I only put on 75m maximum.Why I very rarely cast much further than 45m and never had one take that much line! But then again you know this mate.No I simply put on the braid I need then back it up to the right level with mono.

As Dave touchs on I to have lines which have lasted more than 5 seasons. Wouldnt be able to do that with mono could you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As Dave touchs on I to have lines which have lasted more than 5 seasons. Wouldnt be able to do that with mono could you.

That true Budgie as mine it over three years old and still no sign of wear and tear

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

That true Budgie as mine it over three years old and still no sign of wear and tear

I reckon mine must be 2 years old by now and I only cut it to change rigs or renew a knot that might be a little fuzzy. If I had to replace it tomorrow, I would replace it with more of the same.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I reckon mine must be 2 years old by now and I only cut it to change rigs or renew a knot that might be a little fuzzy. If I had to replace it tomorrow, I would replace it with more of the same.

love braid :D but also like mono :huh: yes mono for close in work is good get more of a cushion when a fish is charging about at ya feet :blink::rolleyes: but overall braid does teh job very very well,love it for float fishing,wich is my prefered method,i did actualy changed to 15lb mono a while ago while trotting for zander...big mistake! could'nt feel a bloody thing, couldnt control the float properly either,i likes braid face :D:)

but dont ask me about lures cos braid or no braid lures give me headaches! (cant catch a thing face)

Edited by Ratty Fitzpatrick46

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!