Piking with braid?

Scopex

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I"ve only just started using braid after many years of angling,i avoided it simply because i could not afford it [mortgage,kids,you know the storey!!].So far i"ve had great success with it lure fishing on my local fen drains.However,not having the experience of trying different brands are there any brands i should avoid or even look at,i must add at the moment i"m using Berkley Fireline which i find to be satisfactory.

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

Since the advent of braid I have lost so few lures. The result being that the higher cost of braid has been considerably outweighed. The downside, since I'm a shopaholic where tackle is concerned, is that I no longer have an excuse to buy new stuff.

jeepster:

can't argue with any of that dave, but today the river was running through fairly quickly, so i tried a lighter line than i usually would so i would get less resistance(not for lure fishing though, i was fishing for perch with other methods) and it seemed to work

Can't argue with that either. :P

Dave

dlstsig.png

yog:

i"m using Berkley Fireline which i find to be satisfactory.

It is one of the originals and is still a good line.

Disadvantages for me when compared to PowerPro or similar is that it is larger diameter for a given b/s, is not as limp, and gives that ugly frayed appearence after a bit.

For bait fishing I would still happily use it if I had any left. For lure fishing, I like PowerPro quite a bit better and for bait fishing I like PowerPro a little better so it's what I buy these days.

As a response to Mark's comment about higher cost when compared to mono, I can't agree. When I was lure fishing 2 days a week and using mono, I had to respool at least every 2 months and in rough, snaggy areas, once a month. With reels that didn't see regular use but that I still took along, I still had to respool several times a year since the mono aged and took sunlight damage.

PowerPro is good for at least 3 years with the same amount of fishing so it works out cheaper and when I factor in lure cost (lost lots more with mono) the difference is even more significant.

I will compare PowerPro to the least expensive Bass Pro mono which is a medium priced line

1500 yards 50lb b/s PowerPro = $108.00

1500 yards 17lb b/s Excel mono = $12.00

- 3 year cost of the mono at 2 months between changes = $12 x 18 = $216

- 5 additional lures lost per year at $5 per lure over 3 years = $75

- Total 3 year cost of ownership mono = $291

- 3 year cost of powerpro at > 3 years between changes = $108

- Savings using the 'more expensive' line over 3 years = $183

Granted, your results will vary according to how often and how hard you fish but in any event, unless the rods stay in a closet, PowerPro is less expensive to use.

Not only that, I hate to respool so once in 3 years suits me lots better than 18 times in 3 years.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i dont agree with this assumption that braid is cheaper in the long run. possibly if you use it for lures then i can imagine that to be true, but as i have said i can see the logic in using braid then, and i do.

but for baits?

the average spool of line that i buy (fox barbuster) is a tenner, power pro four times that. the spool of power pro will do one reel, once, the spool of barbuster will fill three bait runners at leasty once, and normally i get four or five spools filled.

so to fill 5 spools with braid is going to cost £200 compared to £10. i might change my line once a season, and i say might, because i rarely need to with modern mono. so at a best case scenario its gouing to cost me a score a year, theres £180 difference, thats one hell of a lot of traces, floats legers etc!"!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

All I know is that before I started using braid for deadbaiting, I did lose baited traces from time. I used to just accept this as part of fishing.

Since I've been using braid for bait fishing, I've only lost a couple of traces in 2 years and when I do, I get really annoyed about it.

I don't think I could go back to mono (unless the terrain is unsuitable for braid), knowing I would be doing more harm than good.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...